cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

pierre_pierre
Grafter

who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016721/Slow-drivers-dangerous-roads-cause-crashes.html
Slow drivers 'are among most dangerous on roads' and cause crashes
The Mail reports a survey of 2000 car drivers, carried out on behalf of insurer Confused.com, claiming that almost half of the UK’s motorists attempt unsafe overtaking when stuck behind a very slow vehicle. A third claim they've had an incident or near miss as a result.
Additionally, 60 percent of motorists "experience an increase in stress levels and a heightened irritability when faced with a vehicle driving slower than the rest of the traffic" and "45 percent risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident."
69 REPLIES
gswindale
Grafter

Re: who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

The most dangerous drivers are those who drive paying no attention regardless of what speed they are doing.
In fact; generally the most dangerous drivers on the road are motorcyclists who seem to think that they can undertake willy-nilly and are always entitled to get to the front of a queue rather than waiting in line like everybody else.
One motorcyclist did this the other day and pulled up in front of me (and therefore in front of the stop line) at the traffic lights on a local roundabout and then refused to go when the lights were green just because he decided at that point that he didn't fancy weaving through the traffic when it would have been extremely easy for him to do so (he had a practically clear lane in front of him, but he didn't want that lane!).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Dunno about the fast or slow, its the ones in between that wind me up.. You know... Mr "I'll do 45 in a 60 and 45 in a 30" drivers.  That infuriates me. They hold you up in a national speed limit zone and as soon as they get to a 30 they'll carry on while you law abiding drivers slow down to the limit.
Really, what is the point in that?
Motorcyclists also wind me up, nice enough people but they think they're king of the road and every single one I've ever met admits to a serious accident. Come down the road doing 90, and then blame the car driver for pulling out in front of them (like you stand half a chance of seeing them come round the bend at that speed). Despite that, they're happy enough to blame the car driver. The last one I had a disagreement with stuck his fingers up at me as he overtook doing 80--90, I drove past him 5 minutes up the road having his details taking by the police  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
its the ones in between that wind me up..

I know exactly what you mean.
We have a fairly winding "country lane" near us between villages that I use regularly.
It used to be 60, which was pushing it a bit (50 to 55 was generally about right) but has lately been reduced to 40 - there are big houses with driveways scattered all along it but no footpath.
At both ends it's 30 in typical village/suburban development, footpaths, pedestrians etc.
I get totally fed up with the people who drive along at 35 (they did this before the speed limit dropped) in the country and then often speed up to 45 in the village! I think the footpaths, verges and open space (rather than hedges & trees close to the road) somehow makes them think it's like a motorway.  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And I bet, that all the bikers mentioned above, were over 45, and had years of  "experience" (?) on how to ride safely, yet as soon as they get the helmet on , and it covers there face, they consider themselves invisible/invincible.... I too have had bikers over take me in dangerous situations, where I can see the road ahead, and they insist on being on my rear bumper, yet I also insist on driving as close as I can to the crown of the road, to try to prevent them from doing something stupid, like overtake in a dangerous place/conditions.
often when I see them roar past me in such situations, at 80 + looking back and raising the one finger. I hope to see them wrapped around a tree on the next bend....  (wicked , I know.... but.... they deserve to come off, if the decide to ride dangerously, and I have no sympathy for them at all......)
Usually these bikers have grown a white beard too !... so even older and "wiser" than the over 45`s already mentioned.
so in my opinion... Bikers are the most dangerous, ....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you must talk about Motor bikes and not speed
we have a big problem in Finchingfield, several bikes a year are killed on the approach roads

this article with lots of pics show the age of the riders
http://thebod.me.uk/PtF/Motorbikes/Quackery/Trips/quick_quacks_do_essex.htm
Fixes: 47

I was in a convoy of 5 vehicles the other day which was being fronted by a driver doing 20mph or less on a 40mph road.
The road is not in a built up area but fields on one side and large areas of grass on the other.
I could feel the frustrations of the other held up drivers as passing him wasn't an option due to oncoming traffic.
This kind of situation can cause problems due to those frustrations as drivers attempt to pass the slow driver.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

What about cyclists?
I have never understood the point of cycle lanes as they are voluntary. For an example a road I often use is several miles long, no speed limit. A couple of years ago the entire length was narrowed by a few feet so a path could be widened and surfaced for a cycle lane at probably an astronomical cost.
The end result is some cyclists use it and some don't. Only now traffic has to often brake hard as there is no room to pass if there is oncoming traffic.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Probably the list of cyclists annoyances is long and varied. It always seems to me that in the event of an accident involving a cyclist and a motor vehicle, not only does the cyclist come off worst, but inevitably holds the driver to blame whatever the circumstances on the principle that a driver should be looking out for cyclists...as if there is nothing better to do behind the wheel these days. No mention seems to be made that a cyclist shouldn't have been in a highly dangerous (to them) position in the first place. You! as a driver should know they're there...so there!
Far too much emphasis is given to allowing cyclists to have road position priority that they simply take what's left as well as a god given right.
And this I say as an ex-cyclist of many years.
And, I firmly believe cyclists should pay their share of road tax and be licensed (and insured) to use public roads.
Petlew, ducks for cover...
Edit: If they weren't already around. If an inventor produced the first bicycle today, what's the betting that the health and safety lobby would have any type of two wheeled conveyance totally banned as completely dangerous.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

As a car driver and a motorcyclist I see both problems.
I HATE the drivers that do 20 round bends then 80 in the straights (to keep the traffic moving), we see a lot of them at this time of year round here, we call them tourists.  Shocked
Why should a biker HAVE to sit in a queue when he CAN and is ALLOWED BY LAW to overtake you and move to the front of the queue. I have seen bikers sitting in queues of traffic and thought WHYHuh I would have move on, SITUATION PERMITTING.
I agree about the 90 mile an hour crowd they give us a bad name, but not all of us do it just as not all car drivers drive at 45 in a 30.
I was out on my bike with my xyl as pillion heading up to St Mary's Loch, a twisty road with sheep and some straights in it. I was overtaken by 2 bikers doing the 90 past you routing, I caught them up on the bends and followed them in, DOING THE SPEED LIMIT bet they felt silly.
Yes it tends to be the OVER 50's as they are the only ones who can afford to insure "superbikes" 1000cc+ machines that will do 180mph. Saying that I own a 995 bike  Wink but I am not over 50  Tongue But my bike is a tourer not a sports bike, if you want to play with a sports bike/car take it to a RACE TRACK not the road.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
I caught them up on the bends and followed them in, DOING THE SPEED LIMIT bet they felt silly.

Funny you say that, I've caught up with a lot of speeding motorists whilst obeying the limit. They normally get caught up in slow traffic when they catch up with traffic further up the road.
As an old friend of mine once said, you can go as fast as you want but you've still got to stop at the red lights  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Why should a biker HAVE to sit in a queue when he CAN and is ALLOWED BY LAW to overtake you and move to the front of the queue. I have seen bikers sitting in queues of traffic and thought WHYHuh I would have move on, SITUATION PERMITTING.

So is it legal to cross solid white line to overtake or use cycle lanes to undertake?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If traffic is STOPPED or moving at less than 15mph then YES IT IS LEGAL TO CROSS A WHITE LINE.
Cycle lanes are a grey area as are bus lanes depends on the local council.
itsme
Grafter

Can you point me to the part in the highway code that state this? As far as I know no vehicle can overtake by crossing a solid white line in boxed lanes and most traffic lights with cycle lanes will be boxed lanes.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: The
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation