Fixes: 13

which speedtest do you believe?

BT speed test at 22:55 11 November 2009

Download  Speed
615 Kbps

0 Kbps        2000 Kbps
                    Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 615 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1504 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Or this one ... as recommended by PlusNet....
My Broadbandspeed
Today 22:58  1240 kbps (155kB/s)  376 kbps (47kB/s)
_______________________________________________________________________________________-
Or this one
www.speedtest.net
11/11/2009 11:02 PM GMT  1.22 Mb/s  0.38 Mb/s  61 ms  Birmingham  ~ 100 mi
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Purely as an academic exercise  Wink
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: which speedtest do you believe?

none of them.  they're all approximations.
Community Veteran

I don't really bother speedtesting unless I'm experiencing slow or problematic browsing ... when I do I try always to use the same one so there's at least a chance of like-for-like comparison over time; if a lot testing over a period of time is required (as with the recent problems so many have experienced) then I'll use two sites (if there are consistently radically different results from two different sites within a few seconds, that might be useful to know, for instance)
Otherwise, because of the variability of paths and servers and congestion and whatever else happens out there in the cloud, the idea of trying to ascertain "what my real speed is" becomes an exercise in chasing rainbows.
All you can know for sure is your sync. speed and your stable rate,  isn't it?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

The trouble is the actual rate can vary every fraction of a second. I'll run an 2nd & 3rd test within a few seconds if I don't believe the 1st is near the truth, but as has been said, they're all approximations.
The BT one has had the reputation for being inaccurate, but that may have been due to the way it was traffic managed? Seems more consistent now, trouble is have to wait 3hrs for a re-run.
N/A

I used to do the BT and PN speedtests regularly. Used to record them with router stats. They were usually pretty similar.
Now I only do them if there is a problem (happily, this is rare). This morning it was very sluggish so I switched the router off for an hour, came back and everything is now OK.
Now I think that it is best not to bother unless there is something amiss.
Community Veteran

You realise all these speedtests use up your bandwidth Shocked You might end up getting capped Gerry  Grin
Mand
Grafter

Re:which speedtest do you believe?

Some speedtests are less accurate than others.
Sometimes it depends on what you need to do the test for, if for a fault BT will only accept BT speedtest results, if for a general feel for performance I prefer the Ookla based ones.
@Anotherone, all speedtests would be in Gold as they're HTTP based, with the exception of the BT one as it bypasses our network.
Community Veteran

I know, don't tell Gerry that, I'm trying to wind him up Wink
Community Veteran

I`ve got my "mr nice guy" outfit on today !...  Smiley
The problem with the BT tester is the delay in doing a "double check" as indicated by my original post. !.  If I had accepted the BT test result, after all I have been through for the past 11 days, then I would have been on the phone  (and in an endless queueHuh) to CS to find out why my speed had suddenly dropped (again)... there is no way I could have used the BT speed tester to check again, in case it was, what plusnet call, "a blip ".  The two other speed testers that I used, both use the same OKLA engine, so the results should be roughly the same...the advantage of the speedtest.net is that you can do immediate re-tests with different servers, and see the ping times and mileages, to give you a "general idea" of the speed of your line.
Community Veteran

helpful of bt to insist that faults be tested with the bt tester since that thing has never completed the procedure for me.  good thing plus.net is mostly reliable.
James
Grafter

All speedtesters lie.
Stop using them.
Community Veteran

with ref to the above....
" as recommended by plus net staff "  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

he wasnt when he said it Angry Sad Cry
Community Veteran

Guys you might be interested in this very good explanation of the BT speedtester from Dave Tomlinson.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80835.msg659728.html#msg659728
Community Veteran

very intereting....  seems my wiring must be ok then  Cheesy cos I only ever get asked to do the first test... !  Grin Grin Grin