cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where do they go, when it rains?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

where do they go, when it rains?

My 4 yr old great grand daughter, has just posed this question to me.... (cos it is chucking it down outside0
"where do the little birds go, when it rains?  there aren`t any in the garden, or the trees......"
I could not answer her... so pose the question on here to those who know these things ! 
20 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: where do they go, when it rains?

Just googled and found many links like this
http://ask.metafilter.com/27499/Where-do-the-birds-go-when-it-rains
Fixes: 47

I've often wondered that as I get lots of birds in my garden...until it rains heavily.
They don't seem to mind a light shower.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Even when it was really cold we have a pair of blackbirds that have their daily bath in a bowl on the garden table  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A lot of them have been hiding in a certain long running thread on this forum.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

read through that linky above,.... but it still did not answer the question... just said that they are like us and hide from bad weather.... where ? it did not say.!  (apart from one guy who said he noticed some in his sun brolly )..
Thousands of little birds.... yet you cannot see one in the trees or bushes when it rains... Where do they go?  Undecided

Quote from: nadger
a pair of blackbirds that have their daily bath in a bowl on the garden table  Smiley

I have magpies bathing in mine Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

Oh, oneupmanship  Wink

I could have said pheasants from the fields down the road but they would break it Smiley
Community Veteran

I have some friendly blackbirds that come for a feed.  If it's been raining they often have wet feathers.  I've always assumed that they simply shelter in the trees in bad weather.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Interesting isn't it how little kids are able to spot such obvious things the rest of us never think of. It's true though you never see them anywhere when its raining.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

In nadgers's link someone mentioned wet feathers
Wet feathers are fine for preening, but make it difficult to fly.

When birds have had a bath on my bird table and get very wet it doesn't seem to hinder their flying at all Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont see many birds that dont like water, I have a smallish water feature with running water top to bottome, it still runs at about -50C current count
Blackbird, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Starling (Lots), Wren, Collard Dove, Pidgeon, Gold Crest, House Sparrow, Dunnock
Community Veteran

a further question for all those who think they "shelter" in trees.. coupled with those who think birds do the same as us.... hide from bad weather..
Rain... is little droplets of water... usually blown around in a movement of air, we call "wind"....  the "wind" has blown the leaves off the trees, therefore there is no shelter from the rain...
and anyway,  have you ever stood under a tree when it is raining..... the little drops of rain soon become BIG drops of rain. making you twice as wet... due to the fact that, (when the leaves are on the trees) leaves act as a collector of little rain drops and the weight eventually makes them form into bigger droplets...
and as I pointed out in my original post... "there aren`t any (birds)  in the garden or the trees "  !... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Noooooo. You're all wrong! They go here...
http://www.clubbingholidays.org.uk/ibizaclubbingholidays/