cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what the Lord giveth,the lord taketh away

thisoldman
Grafter

what the Lord giveth,the lord taketh away

There are 6 houses, all fairly new in my wee cul de sac.  Last night we all had a wee discussion about broadband speeds and how best to utilize it.
Some strange  points emerged from our discuusion anmd I'dlike to ask for your views  here please.
Houses 1 , 3 ,5  use aol and get an average d/l speed of 1.4 mb house 4 uses one tel and gets 3.5mb. I get on average 4.2mb
house 4 uses bt and gets 6.1mb average dl speed
But..... when the aol users use rapidshare they get an average d/l speed of 398kbs, the one tel gets 297 and i get 87kbs the bt guy gets 489kbs
when I use iplayer after 5pm it stutters and goes to bed so does one tel but aol and bt go like a bomb all night and day
So what is the use someone said of a faster bb speed if your isp throttles it?
and final q is  how do we make best usage of our faster speeds.
Whether one gets 1.4mb or 4.3mn  ,surfing the web makes no difference whatsoever.
As we are all oaps  we dont use torrents or music d/l so do any of see any point in fast d/ speeds?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
we concluded that what the lord giveth, the lord taketh away.
3 REPLIES
hadden
Grafter

Re: what the Lord giveth,the lord taketh away

Interesting information.
Did you also compare cost?
thisoldman
Grafter

good mornking johnj:    comparison difficult as all isp products are different.

the aol people were paying 14.99 for unlimited 8mb
the one tel guy said he p[aid 12.99 but did not know idf it was unlimited 
the bt couple wre paying 17.99
im paying 11.99 for 10gb service.
a mate who lives in manchester gets poor d/l speeds when using file sharing and he s with virgin 20mb at nearly 30£ a month
thisoldman
Grafter

last comment: Angry      whenever I hear people talking about download speeds either on here or elsewhere, I feel like throttling them Cheesy