cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what fuel do you use in your car?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

what fuel do you use in your car?

http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_news/8797289.Police_used_wrong_fuel_110_time...
Police officers used the wrong fuel 110 times in the past two years costing more than £20,000 in repairs.
Figures released under the Freedom of Information Act show policemen filled some of the 715 diesel vehicles with petrol despite Essex Police fitting talking fuel caps to warn them not to, which reportedly cost a total of £4000.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: what fuel do you use in your car?

Happened where I worked too. We had some bimbo who was a lazy *** go and put unleaded in a derv and the boss never said a word - just booked it in for repair.
If it had been one of us grafters we would of got a severe 'telling off'.
In answer to the topic, I use unleaded although i'm now barely using the car due to the work situation and the price per litre. Diesel is more expensive but at least you get more miles for it but I hate the sound!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

110 times and only £20000 in repairs? Seems remarkably cheap.  Huh
An ex-colleague by the name of Morrison once filled up with the wrong fuel in his fleet van - earned him the nickname Diesel "Van" Morrison.  Cheesy
Not young enough to know everything
thisoldman
Grafter

i read somewhere people were using cow dung and i thoit that was insane but i was wrong it is feasible apparently
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Anyone putting fuel in a car not belonging to them should be made to pay for any damage done.
If you own something and know that a mistake will cost you, then you are usually more careful, unless you have stacks of cash, in which case it dosen't matter.
thisoldman
Grafter

can people really use cow dung or are they winding me up
Community Veteran

Don't know about that but I did hear that pig waste can be converted. Not sure if it was urine or poop though.
@glen: I agree partially about being made to pay. I suspect most private companies make their staff pay anyway but I don't understand why the public sector just writes it off as a cost to the taxpayer. Even say 10% would be a good gesture (and deterrent).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not what this was about, Cow dung as fuel, yes they put it into a sealed composter and capture the gas, then the vehicle runs on the gas.
All the Anglia Water vans in Colchester run off the gas from the local sewerage works
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

a flaming expensive one  Angry
prichardson
Grafter

I can't wait to get another LPG car. No chance of mis-filling these, unless you take a lump hammer to perform some "on-site alterations on the forecourt", but then the explosion should ensure you don't get to complete your attempt to use the wrong fuel.
I miss my LPG car, but need to find a reliable factory fitted one. Insurance is a little fussy on conversion.
Community Veteran

Quote from: P
Insurance is a little fussy on conversion.

Don't suppose you have any more details? - Like why they're so bothered about it and if they insisted on documentation? - I'm trying to find out if the LPGA installer is a legal requirement as despite searching I've yet to come across anything concrete that says it must be (only fitting companies who have a vested interest in gaining work).
N/A

Insurance is a little fussy on conversion.

No problems at all with insurance here PR and ours is a conversion (by an approved installer in South Yorkshire).
Denzil
Grafter

There is no legal requirement for an LPG kit  to be professionally installed (although for safety's sake it is probably advisable Smiley). If the installer is a member of LPGA or similar it should make insurance easier. Some insurance companies are fussier about modifications than others. If one won't cooperate then find another that will.
prichardson
Grafter

Oh, they will all co-operate, but it's a first time insurance thing since modification. It's all well and good having a valid certificate of installation, but some installers hold better weight than others (I will get mine done in Huddersfield).
It's a modification / non-factory standard setup, so the insurer needs to know. The better and more comparative insurers that will not charge more, want proof of prior insurance of the vehicle with LPG, otherwise want an additional premium. Others I am not touching due to the additional premium they will just apply outright and some more simply charge too much anyway (though they do become better value as a result of this change).
My old Astra did not have a base model with LPG on it, but it belonged to West Yorkshire police, and Vauxhaul got a contractor in to install it as part of a batch sale. It was factory certified as a result and didn't need declaration of modification.
N/A

We have had three insurers since modification and all have accepted with no loading.  Only one that did not do it is Norwich Union.  Even newly modified it was no trouble.
Our installer is one in Balby, Doncaster and they must be good because as I said before, they seem always to have a waiting list.