cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are you looking at

pierre_pierre
Grafter

what are you looking at

Hundreds of television viewers were caught trying to watch their favourite shows without a licence last year.
Figures for 2011 show that over 240 people in Braintree and 170 in Witham were found not to have a valid TV license.
It is estimated that one in 20 households across the country continue to evade the authorities.

27 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: what are you looking at

Quote from: pierre_pierre
It is estimated that one in 20 households across the country continue to evade the authorities.

It is known that one in 20 addresses on TVL's database are unlicensed. It is unknown how many of those have no TV, or only use a TV for DVDs, gaming, catch-up TV etc.
In the eyes of TVL they are all evaders.
Not young enough to know everything
nadger
Rising Star

Ah!, the joys of a free licence  Cool
Community Veteran

1 in 20 eh?
How many of those are duplicated adddresses (eg a house on the corner of two roads) where the TVL think they can force you to buy two licences? - Been there, done that.
How many of them are properties which they never knew existed, added to their database and then despite the occupant having a valid licence they manage to send you threats (clearly acknowledging that they've added your previously unknown address to their database) - Again, been there and done that.
TVL = evil. They like nothing better than to harass the innocent. I often wonder what I done in my past life to of had so much bad treatment from so many different places/people during my life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Never had a problem with TVL in the three years from 2006 that I never had a TV. One call to explain why I didn't require a licence and never heard from them again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Since when did a house on a corner have two addresses, unless it is split into two flats it can only have one.
the one opposite me, the major frontage is on my road, but its front door is on a foot path with only green on the other road, his garage opens on to my road.  His address is the other road
Fixes: 47

The last company I worked for received a TV license demand.
There were no TVs on the premises but I had ordered a TV card for my home PC and had it delivered to work.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@pierre: You know it can only have one address, I know it can only have one address but try telling TVL!!! When they're adamant that you should have two licences for one address it really does become very stressful once they start sending letters accusing you of lying, dishonesty etc and threatening and automatic win at a prosecution etc.
We had one of their inspectors turn up a few years back. We'd only been there a week or two, no phone line active but we'd rung them from a call box and told them of the new address. Bloke turns up demanding to see our licence, finds it has our old address and starts rambling on about us not being properly licenced etc. I told him to issue a fine then or to cease the harrassment. Instead he rang straight through to TVL and got the address 'properly' updated. We never heard from them again.
Worse than HMRC when they think they've got something to chew on.
That reminds me.. I think I need to ring up TVL about my former employer who have a TV without a licence  Grin

Quote from: Sprite
That reminds me.. I think I need to ring up TVL about my former employer who have a TV without a licence  Grin

You can't do that Shocked.....I mean.......I wouldn't do that.....then again Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Why? - They know the rules just like the rest of us. If they're stupid enough to have the thing there and think that they can get away with it under a neighbouring companies TV licence then thats their problem. They shouldn't go treating their staff like dirt if they're going to break rules.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree with you more.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Seem to recall some years ago that several well known people openly refused to pay their television licence.
Can't remember what their actual argument was, either they didn't watch BBC or felt everyone should have free access to information.
Not sure if they were ever prosecuted due to the bad publicity it would bring on the authorities.
The way the BBC spends the money has often been questioned so perhaps there are better solutions that issuing  an annual licence.
Community Veteran

Annual licence? - You'll be lucky!
You pay for a licence annually and expect to get your bit of paper for it but now they're not even doing that because the government froze the licence fee. They're now writing to people on renewal with a 5 year licence instead.
Cheap or what  Crazy
nadger
Rising Star

Can't see anything on website about 5 year licence and not many people would cough up £727.50.
I have got 3 year licence as an over 75.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just looked at the DirectGov site and the TV licence site. No mention at all about more than one year