Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wannacry

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

wannacry

did anyone watch horizon ?? interesting TV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08vfzm0/horizon-2017-cyber-attack-the-day-the-nhs-stopped

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
44 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: wannacry

I did, and it was very enlightening to say the least. The bit about WiFi kettle was really worrying, not for me but for anyone who has one. You'd be more secure leaving your wallet out and your door open!

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Expect the return of this any time soon!?kettle-with-whistle.jpg

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

@Mook did you see the amount of items on his shelf , that they said were insecure ?Huh

Personally i don't see the need for half of the stuff to be WiFi , and what he said about the thermostat was worrying  Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Luzern wrote:

Expect the return of this any time soon!?kettle-with-whistle.jpg

@Luzern - Well at least you know that's not going to phone home, whistle for attention but that's its limit.

Community Veteran

I agree with you @rongtw and even being fond of gadgets I do think that the IoT has the potential for great damage when in the wrong hands.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't see the point of having devices like kettles, fridges, lights, thermostats and other things, that connect to your wifi to work, and of course, it's it's a great gateway into private and corporate networks, after all, how difficult is it to turn a knob or flick a switch, or, well, what does an internet-connected fridge do anyway?? Crazy2

Fixes: 125

I suppose it will allow banks easier access to freeze assetsCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I don't want my assets freezing Embarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

everything is insecure though.
it only needs 1 person with the time and patience to break it.

it only takes someone to throw a brick thru your kitchen window and your house security has been breached.
Community Veteran

I'm with you @twocvbloke as far as appliances are concerned, what is the justification for owning something like this, thermostats and lights yes, if only for the convenience factor but a WiFi toaster or kettle, really!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mook wrote:

thermostats and lights yes, if only for the convenience factor

Even then they're susceptible to attack, just think, you're on holiday, you have wifi enabled thermostats & lightswitches or bulbs, some little number two manages to make a mass hack and turns on all these devices, thus burning gas and electricity away, all the while you're unaware of your bills being jacked up and anything in your house being boiled alive, or say its' the winter and you've been locked out of turning your heating up in the midst of a deep freeze and can't turn on the lights, yeah, I'll take a traditional setup of manually switched devices thanks... Crazy2

And it's not an unjust concern, that Hive thing that is being peddled a lot on TV has had problems with hackers, so they've gotten in, and they know how to mess it up...

Community Veteran

They are valid comments but I for one would change the default password and upgrade to the latest firmware and isolate the LAN they were on to one where only control devices would live. But I do appreciate that not everyone knows about the potential mayhem that could ensue given an opportunity. I don't have these devices anyway as the price doesn't justify the benefit, however for someone with reduced or limited mobility these might be very useful to them.

Even then the security concerns around these devices shouldn't need to be addressed by the consumer but by the manufacturer, where upon installation a new sensible password is mandatory before the install can be completed.

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Even then they're susceptible to attack, just think, you're on holiday, you have wifi enabled thermostats & lightswitches or bulbs, some little number two manages to make a mass hack and turns on all these devices, thus burning gas and electricity away, all the while you're unaware of your bills being jacked up and anything in your house being boiled alive, or say its' the winter and you've been locked out of turning your heating up in the midst of a deep freeze and can't turn on the lights, yeah, I'll take a traditional setup of manually switched devices thanks... Crazy2

has there been any evidence of such a thing happening though?
or is it just the usual Daily Mail "there all out to get us" type of thing.

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

however for someone with reduced or limited mobility these might be very useful to them.

Even then the security concerns around these devices shouldn't need to be addressed by the consumer but by the manufacturer, where upon installation a new sensible password is mandatory before the install can be completed.

i suspect such a person would be more at risk of something phyiscally stealing from their house than being hacked.