cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wage slips by email

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

wage slips by email

My employer has decided to save on paperwork and send us our payslips by email. No choice, simply 'provide an email address or you get no payslip'.
Does anyone else here receive their 'pay advice' electronically?
If so are there any issues to be aware of?
The only one I can think of is if you need to provide proof of income to  a bank or solicitor etc. Would they accept print-offs?
I would feel better if the payslip were accessible via a secure web site so I could choose to download it - not blasted over the email system.
Am I right to be concerned or am I worrying about nothing?
9 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: wage slips by email

See http://www.payroll-services-centre.co.uk/payslip-questions/
Electronic paylips are permissible. The basic premise is that an employee is entitled to a written statement of pay and deductions on or around their pay date but HM Revenue & Customs accepts the use of electronic payslips. However, if an employee cannot print their payslip at home or is off sick or on holiday then an e-copy may not satisfy the requirement that they have been ‘given’ an itemised pay slip and so a paper copy could be requested.
In short it is not possible to insist on solely electronic payslips as some circumstances might require a paper copy to be made available to comply with the Employment Rights Act.

Doesn't say anything about lack of security.
It's equivalent to posting your payslip as a postcard.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Alternative similar link: http://www.payroll-help.com/faq/11206-only-electronic-payslips/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

My payslips are done through epayslips.com.  Slight difference is this is a site that you log on to, so a good bit more secure.  Never had a problem with it tbh.  I remortgaged last year.  Just printed out the relevant pages, and Tesco Bank was fine with it.
Phil
Community Veteran

Security is my main issue. That and the fact we get no option.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Head office email me mine in PDF format at the end of the month and I've never had issue with it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Yes, ours are emailed as PDF attachments. However each one is encrypted with a personal password.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Been getting mine via .pdf attachments for four years, never had a problem.
They do show home address and National Insurance number, and of course the payment amount. deductions and totals etc. (wouldn't be much use as a payslip without those of course) But have no bank account details for BACS payment etc..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks guys, food for thought there. Think I'll just go with the flow until I've received a few and see if there are any issues then.
Going to pass on the epayslips info onto them. Whether it will do any good or not it will at least show them that I'm interested in what they are doing (they're very aware that I'm interested as I'm in the process of taking them to task via Acas for underpayment of holiday pay).
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Petlew
Been getting mine via .pdf attachments for four years, never had a problem.
They do show home address and National Insurance number, and of course the payment amount. deductions and totals etc. (wouldn't be much use as a payslip without those of course) But have no bank account details for BACS payment etc..

Standard Adobe password "encryption" is not very strong.
Bit like putting a password on a Word document.
I get PDF's of my electricity bills - but I have to log on to a secure web site and download the PDF file.
That way, it can't be intercepted, changed or otherwise looked at.
Sounds like your IT department is a bit decrepit.