cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vista - how are y'all getting on with it?

Community Veteran

vista - how are y'all getting on with it?

apart from what i've read on the web and the watching of a few youtubes, i've not met this beastie and am interested in what users find most enjoyable about it.  what new features do you like best?  how does it compare with earlier versions of windows?
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: vista - how are y'all getting on with it?

I run XP SP3 on my laptop, and my wife has Vista Home Basic on hers.  The problem I have, is trying to figure out how to do simple things on the Vista machine, when M$ has changed the names of the folders/sections to be more "upmarket". For example to uninstall a program on XP  Settings, Control panel, Add remove programs.....
Try finding that on Vista !. Roll eyes
I suppose it is really a matter of getting used to the way the system works, Like moving to a new job, (but doing the same thing, there are little ways of doing things that are different, but it works out the same result at the end of the day.
gswindale
Grafter

Oh, you mean Start -> Control Panel -> Programs & Features  Grin
I've been using it on my laptop for over a year now (Ultimate BTW), and have to say that apart from a few initial issues with UAC and older programs, I've not had any problems.
Community Veteran

Vista came to me installed on a good spec Acer laptop I bought and was called Home Premium. My main problem was it was slowing the machine down considerably. After three months I dumped it and installed XP which made the machine much faster. There were a few niggly aspects to Vista like program incompatabilty and the User Account Control which I didn't like. I will stick to XP for now and my new Ubuntu
Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I have access to various versions of Vista through my Microsoft subscriptions, and have installed a numer of different systems for testing.
I have found no valid reason to use it "in anger" so stick with XP unless it's unavoidable.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Programs & Features

Yeah!
Wonder what made them think of that name for "Add remove programs"
A bit like that advert on tele for the breakfast cereal..... all over the lorry side is written
"Notmadefromwheatbutmadefromoatsabix", and the couple say why not call it "Oatsabix" then  Undecided
greyposter
Grafter

I'm happy with it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I went to Vista because I wanted a 64bit operating system and it seemed silly to buy 64bit XP.
The main problem I had was finding how things worked and getting rid of all the "improvements" MS had built in.
The final hurdle was to fix the default folder view which was a total mess. That took a registry hack to fix.
Having done all that I am quite happy with it but I do have a fairly powerful computer
paulby
Grafter

I too have had no problems with Vista  - apart from finding my way around but that was no more difficult than from the move from Win98 to Xp.
I "upgraded" one of my machines from Xp to try it out fully expecting all the problems that the "Nay Sayers" had predicted (also expected to have to revert to Xp).  However I was pleasantly surprised.  My system is stable and runs as well as it did under Xp.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have Vista loaded on 3 PC's here (2x Home Premium, 1x Home Basic) for most of this year and some of last. And much as it seems to against some opinion, I've had little or no trouble with it, except it can be very RAM hungry. All three now have 2Gb RAM I couldn't recommend anything less, as all three started with 1Gb (or in the case of the Home Basic 750Mb, although I don't know why it arrived with this odd figure) upgrading to 2Gb transformed them...highly recommended.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

I don't have Vista, but I am curious to know how you manage to use 3 pcs at the same time petlew? Huh
skinnytiger

I've had vista on my work machine for about a year now, it took some getting used to, but now it's fine. Sure the new names for everything take some getting used to and UAC is a pain to begin with, although now I find it quite helpful.
My only concern is that networking is only allowed on Business and Ultimate, so if you have a home laptop you can forget about bringing it into the office and connecting to the network.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I like the look of Vista but all my mates in tech circles have dumped it and advised not to bother with it.
There has to be something in that!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Moggy
Grafter

I started Vista at the same time as Office 2007, PHEW. I find both good an especially like the sidebar gadgets.
Worst part of Vista was/is finding drivers for older printers etc.
I agree 2 GB RAM is the least you need in reality.
Change of theme.... is there a spell checker here? I can't see one so have to type into word then cut and paste!!!
Community Veteran

most of what i've read about vista makes me ineffably relieved that i made the effort to learn linux.  i have now been enjoying computing for more than three years trouble-free after years of battling to keep windows functional.
it's interesting that some find vista pleasant and reasonably easy to use, though a resource hog as usual.  i've been trying to find the nice things about vista and the features that make it different and more fun to use.  the overwhelming mass of opinion appears to be negative.  most of the people i've come across, who have tried vista, have reverted to xp.
skinnytiger, i'm a little puzzled by what you say.  are you saying that unless you have a specific version, you may not have a lan?