cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited or not unlimited

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

unlimited or not unlimited

Having watched the various posts from Plusnet about the OFCOM restrictions about advertising unlimited - FUP etc.
I found this puzzling
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/betterthanever
Broadband Premium
Unlimited usage: Broadband Premium (previously known as Broadband Extra) customers will continue to benefit from unlimited usage (subject to Fair Use Policy).
and the FUP states
2.2  Key terms for Post Office ®  Broadband
Premium customers
If your usage exceeds 100GB in any month, we may  reduce your upload and download speeds for the rest of that month. We will contact you to let you know we are restricting your service in this way.
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: unlimited or not unlimited

Virgin Media
**Acceptable use policy applies. Download speeds may be affected by Traffic Management measures from 4pm to 11pm weekdays and 11am to 11pm at weekends. Heavy users may experience a temporary reduction in download speed during these periods, however users can continue to download without any interruption or charge at the reduced speeds, and are not subject to a monthly download limit. Traffic management measures are in place to ensure a consistent user experience and impact only the heaviest users (typically less than 5% a day)
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Don't forget the mobile networks too! Many of which have been offering unlimited (up to 500MB) data or "All you can eat data" again capped at 500MB etc. I don't know why or how they're allowed to claim it's unlimited when it's actually VERY limited.
Personally I think unlimited is the wrong way of describing a genuinely unlimited plan anyway. It should be non-limited, no limits or something similar. Unlimited makes it sound like it's truly infinite and the reality is that it's limited by the physical data the servers can handle even though no limits may be imposed by the owners.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I found an ofcom pdf (last page) that recommended a distinction between "unlimited broadband" and "unlimited usage / downloads". "Unlimited downloads" would allow for speed restrictions as long as they're made clear.
Fixes: 47

My price plan on T-Mobile includes unlimited data with no FUP as long as I don't use tethering.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

They can do this, as per this document
http://bcap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-Consultations/Closed-consultations/~/media/Files/CAP/CAP/Help%20Note...
Taken from page 4

"Criteria for the use of an “unlimited” claim
“Unlimited” claims are likely to be acceptable provided that:
 The legitimate user incurs no additional charge or suspension of service as a
consequence of exceeding any usage threshold associated with an FUP, traffic
management policy or the like; and
 Provider-imposed limitations that affect the speed or usage of the service are moderate
only and are clearly explained in the marketing communication.1"

In my view what is not clearly explained, is how much (%) the speed will be reduced by or if this is all the time or at peak or off peak times.
i wounder how long it takes some to challenge them if they feel the speed restriction applied is over moderate.
I gave sales a ring they had no idea, but gave me a special number to ring " who would know the answers" guess what they had no idea to.
Regards
Mike
Mike