Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.uk

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

.uk

Now web users can ditch  .co.uk:
Major firms set to change suffixes after Britain gets simpler new .uk address from today
Britain is getting a new national web address of ‘.uk’ from today in what is being described as the biggest shake-up in the internet for 30 years.
The change means businesses and individuals can choose to drop the familiar ‘.co.uk’ and ‘.com’ suffixes from their web addresses in favour of the short and simple ‘.uk’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653513/Now-web-users-ditch-uk-Major-firms-set-change-suffix...
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: .uk

Seemed like a nice idea to change my .co.uk and .me.uk addresses to a more simpler .uk one till I saw that prices were upward of 2.5 to 3 times that of the .co.uk ones  Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

and how many businesses will feel that they have to get this tld as well to protect their business? Nice little money earner imo.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Of course....  it won`t cost them businesses anything more than the registration fee..... will it?  
Nah... only.... they will need to get all, and I do mean ALL, their stationery reprinted... and their transport re-painted.... to reflect the change...
so.. what "advantage" will there be to change ?  will it make them more profitable?  will it increase their world wide influence?    I doubt it.....
As for " the biggest shake up for the internet in 30 years ".... who on earth decided that ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I suspect that they will register the new name and then not do much with it until their next rebranding
Of course there will be the other reason why they will register it
Imagine somebody registering amazon.uk as there probably won't be any restriction on registering a .uk address where there is already a .co.uk address
itsme
Grafter

I check a couple and it seem that Nominet has automatically reserved .uk for the holders of .co.uk
Fixes: 125

Seems that way as I have been offered .uk addresses for all my .co.uk ones with 123reg.
The one .me.uk address I really wanted as a .uk has been taken reserved Cry

I wonder how long they hold the reservation for before releasing it back to the pool for anyone else to register.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

AIUI, if you have the corresponding .co.uk then the .uk variant is reserved for you until 2019. After that it's released for anybody to register. I don't think there are any restrictions on .uk's where there's no corresponding .co.uk.
Shame really, I wouldn't have minded bob.uk Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

[Spanner in works time..]
What will happen to .uk if Scotland votes to leave?
I presume we'll still have the union (England, Wales and NI) so that's OK except 'certain people' may no longer be entitled to use .uk (maybe have to re-register as '.scot', '.co.scot' etc.)  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

Jack won't be best pleased, or will he Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We got our "Kebab.uk" Yay!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

How about the other cultures of food like
Indian.uk ====> It'll be Kormaning to a place near you Cheesy
Chinese.uk ======> The'll be porking everyones ribs for that one Cheesy
Pizza.uk ======> I guess the hut will provide room for this one for Express delivery Tongue
Italiano.uk ========> Mario said thatsa mina Cheesy
Domino.uk ======> I guess they will eat that for breakfast / dinner / tea & supper Tongue
Subway.uk =====>  Thats now under our feet
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

To go totally off topic.... years ago I had a secretary who;s nickname was Domino. She would have loved Domino.uk.  It was not, despite appearances, that she like pizza, but rather her hobby of being a dominatrix (don't ask how I know).
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
WTF
Grafter

Nominet's latest money making scam: now everyone who already maintains a .com and .co.uk domain also has to buy a .uk one  Roll eyes
Apparently the people's geek, Steven Fry was one of the first to register a .uk domain.  In his announcement he declared that new domains "generate new IP numbers which so far show no sign of giving out".
If only he'd told everyone 5 years ago - think of the money everyone could have saved working on IPv6  Roll eyes
TORPC
Grafter

Are Nominet really that hard up ?Huh