cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tyre pressures

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: tyre pressures

hmm actually i got that quite wrong [quote="wikipedia"]Indirect TPMS do not use physical pressure sensors. Indirect TPMS measure the "apparent" air pressure, by monitoring individual wheel rotational speeds, and other signals available outside the tire itself. Most indirect TPMS use the fact that an under-inflated tire has a slightly smaller diameter than a correctly inflated tire and therefore has to rotate at a higher angular velocity to cover the same distance as a correctly inflated tire. Newer developments of indirect TPMS can also detect simultaneous under-inflation in up to all four tires using vibration analysis of individual wheels or analysis of load shift effects during acceleration and/or cornering, which can be realized in software using advanced signal processing techniques. However, the vibration analysis technique requires the use of additional suspension sensors which result in increased complexity and cost of the overall system as long as vertical chassis movements are concerned. That is why most current advanced indirect systems use the spectral content of the wheel speed sensor signals so no additional sensors are needed and the computations can also be carried out by usual processors for example in usual ABS or ESC control units.
Indirect TPMS are realized in software in combination with wheel speed sensors for anti-lock braking systems, and electronic stability control systems. A disadvantage of indirect TPMS is that the driver must calibrate the system by pushing a reset button on the dashboard or through the on-board computer and if this is performed when any tire is in an under inflated condition then the system will not report correctly.
Highlighted
Grafter

Although it sounds more complicated that the old Renault offering, it does sound as if it has a chance of being less susceptible to malfunction. Thanks for sharing!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

my pleasure ... there's a load more on wikipedia about the direct-measure systems too which really is complicated!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just checked my tyre pressures and they were all 28 psi.  Guess this was done when I had the tyres fitted.  According to the handbook they should have been 31 psi so put a bit more air in them all Smiley Smiley
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

Quote from: paulh
Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Provided the car is level, I don't touch them - they get re-pressurised at the next service anyway.

is that a leg-pull or do you really never check your tyre pressures between services?

I truly don't bother to check tyre pressure.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Fixes: 471

That's because he has solid rubber tyres Tongue

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
That's because he has solid rubber tyres Tongue
Never gets any punctures  Wink
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Actually - I think that's almost true - I once had a very slow puncture - so I drove to the garage Cheesy
Otherwise not one; not ever.
That's over about 20 years.

Highlighted
Grafter

does it take long on you old bike?
Highlighted
Grafter

my normal method of checking tyre pressure is the old kick test - if they seem the same I go no further - so long as wear is even across the tyre
am not remotely bothered about the odd 0.1 BAR here or there -- have got a tyre pressure gauge somewhere
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

I used to have tubular tyres on my bicycle - pressure about 120 psi - although the pressure gauge on my pump goes up to 140 psi.
(that's about 10 bar in new money).
If you could make any impression on the tyres, using manual methods, they were seriously under-pressurised.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I've had a quick browse but not found what I want - so any experts here - Pierre-Pierre ?
How far off do tyres pressures have to be to start to have a significant effect on fuel consumption / tyre wear ?
And then of course if tyre pressures are out of balance between wheels - again how much of a pressure difference before significant inbalanc e in braking.
I was told that if they are badly out of balance then under hard braking there is a danger that the car would become unstable ? .
I'm sure in theory the professionals would say we should check tyre pressures every morning - certainly the military now have it on their daily check list, and I'm sure the police traffic police would say their cars have to have pressures checked every day - if not at the beginning of every shift ?.
Personally - I check mine every week, normally at the weekend - or before a long journey.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Every time you check the pressure, a tiny quantity of air will escape... Cheesy

Highlighted
Fixes: 471

If you buy tyres at Costco they will fill them with Nitrogen when they fit them.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quite clever really. The Oxygen market generates Nitrogen during manufacture, previously just vented, but now sold to tyre fitters.  Wink