Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tyre pressures

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: tyre pressures

Hey Artmo..... while you`re at it.... could you "gross" those figures up for an annual saving/cost ????  Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well it's £120 a year in savings and as you're still in gallons do I get green shield stamps as well Wink Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Nah Sorry, they went out in the late 1960`s...... but I`ll have the £120.... just cover 4 new "round and black" for my car !  Grin Cheesy
Highlighted
Community Veteran

yeah stop being so quaint.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Lot's of more upmarket cars now seem to have automatic tyre temperature measuring kit.
Not sure how it works - is there a pressure sensor on the valve - that somehow ? - communicates with equipment on non-rotating part of the car. ?Huh
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's reminded me of a car I hired in the US earlier this year.  The tyre pressures wereshown on the in-car display.  Neat. Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran

This site says auto tyre pressure monitoring  was mandatory in the US in 2007, and will be in Europe in 2012, but I seem to remember it was in Renault Luganda's years ago ?
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/smartire.html
and also
http://www.schraderelectronics.com/
yes they fitted them in Luganda in 1998

excellent idea
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's interesting but I wonder if drivers will check the tyres any more often.  Some won't be bothered to scroll to the right screen.
Highlighted
Grafter

Didnt see a scroll down screen in Mals reference, all four pressures were on a single screen at the same time, noted that it was in PSI and not Metric units
Highlighted
Community Veteran

If the system is built into the car as it was on mine, then you scroll the screen on your dashboard until you come to the appropriate one you want.
Highlighted
Grafter

On the Renault Laguna my brother used to own, it warned him every time he started the car.
Even when the pressures were fine...
Which does of course make you wonder whether relying on such technology is sensible.
In terms of where the sensor is its strapped to the outside of the hub, inside the tyre, where in normal use its totally protected. Of course if you drove with a puncture, the sensor could theoretically get damaged in some circumstances.
Oh yeah, if you swap your wheels front for back as many people do, you'll find you get errors telling you the wrong sensor is in the wrong place on the car.
Not great tech, or at least not a great implementation of it.
I'll stick with my hand held pressure gauge - we still use dipsticks to check oil, and low oil wouldn't necessarily give any clues until its too late. At least with tyre pressures you have visual clues, as well as the chance of noticing impared handling as pressures drop.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

On mine, it works by detecting deflation rather than monitoring the actual pressure: You set the correct tyre pressure, then tell the onboard computer that they are correct. It then uses sensors in the wheel arches (ultrasonic? IR?  ... dunno) to monitor changes in the diameter of the wheel.
If the diameter falls substantially, it shows an alert on the dash.
Presumably with a sensitive enough system it could work out the actual pressure in a similar way?
Highlighted
Grafter

What car is that on? Sounds posh!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Didn't really take much notice of how it worked James as I was using a hire car.  Didn't get any warning either and it didn't come on at start-up.  Only way to see it was by selecting it on the dashboard screen.
Highlighted
Grafter

It probably wasn't as faulty as Bro's then. Wink