Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

todays budget

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: todays budget

Thats very good artmo! Round my way it's 129.9  Angry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Asda is only 1 mile from me... and they "usually" are the cheapest,,,,, with Morrisons 5.4 miles away.. ( we do our shopping there).. and I have a "loyalty card" that gives £5 shopping voucher when full!... Asda show the cheaper price by using .7 on the end... e.g. 1.35.7 against Morrisons 1.35.9 ..... sometimes they are a whole penny +.2 cheaper.... however. quite often an independent TEXACO petrol station 7.5 miles away ( and an inconvenient journey) can be 2p cheaper than Asda for some reason...
Edit... last week missus gave me a voucher for 10p off a litre  so I filled up with 30 litres and got the bill reduced by £3.00 ! ( Morrisons again )....
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

George Osborn made me laugh this morning ,....he was giving out the good news that Bingo Tax had been halved, and saying what a good fellow he was to have had the idea ( well he didn`t actually say that, but it was written all over his beaming face!)...
Why was he so full of himself?  because in the same breath he stated that Reducing the Bingo Tax was......" good for jobs and good for the community" ....
Is he really in charge of the country`s finances?  how many jobs does he think it will create?  my estimation... absolutely none...
the extra income will be more profit for the bingo hall operators, aka big businesses, who support the conservative party.... oh.... is that the bit he was referring to... as... " good for the community" ?? ? ?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

It had blamed the previous 20% tax rate for bingo hall closures and the loss of almost 2,000 jobs.
Gambling Commission figures show the number of people employed in the bingo sector fell from 17,822 in the 2010-11 financial year to 16,048 in 2012-13.

Possibly more than you think Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Personally I'd see that more likely being down to a recession and people spending less on leisure activities.
Highlighted
Grafter

That is the most likely scenario, for sure
Highlighted
Community Veteran

One operator announced they will open 3 new clubs after the announcement with more to follow.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Only ever played bingo once, I attended an AGM /Annual dinner of Birdlife Pacific, the sponsored 'prize' of the evening (two 1st class return tickets to Sydney) went to the winners of a 'bingo' game, tickets were  £10 each.
The catch was rather than call out 'bingo' of 'house' when you completed the card, the winner had to jump up stand on their chair, flap their arms and squawk like a parrot.
The game was fixed everybody got the winning number at the same time.
I still laugh at the memory of over 100 folk standing on chairs flapping their arms and squawking like parrots
Highlighted
Grafter

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
the extra income will be more profit for the bingo hall operators, aka big businesses, who support the conservative party.... oh.... is that the bit he was referring to... as... " good for the community" ?? ? ?

isn't the tax take on the winnings or on the stake just like with betting on the gg's ?
anyhow it will mean they can charge 10% less per stake and still cover the cost of running the game instead of making losses selling the cards cheaper than they should do, I last went to bingo when the average card price rose above £1 which is similar to a lot of people, and was caused when the tax rate rose from its previous levels to 20% but then again bingo hals were doing well back when there was a 10% rate and no vat charged on the purchase price of a card, they then were subjected to charging vat on the card sales price and paying 15% on the prize fund, recently that was changed ot not charging 15% vat on sales price of cards, but taxing prizes at 20%, people realised that the lower prizes were worth less than the price of a card and stopped going in droves to bingo halls
the latest change will mean that the lowest prizes will be worth the same as the cost of the card and increase the funds available for the prize pool overall so reality is this will attract more people back into bingo halls and that will in turn secure jobs and indeed create them in areas where the bingo halls were closed and can now re-open.

sounds like a good deal for all really
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you