Always knew you had a dark secret oldjim Wink
Fixes: 105

Re: todays almanac

think I would prefer today's Armagnac Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have some 80 proof Rum, that kills the agony even more, also some 99% drinking Alcohol, openly on sale in Italian supermarkets as a reverse mixer, the wife uses it for moulding the ice when cake decorating, far too strong
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Here is the full gang:
SRD
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I have some 80 proof Rum, that kills the agony even more, also some 99% drinking Alcohol, openly on sale in Italian supermarkets as a reverse mixer, the wife uses it for moulding the ice when cake decorating, far too strong
for what?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the 80 proof was brought in Austria, can manage that, remeber UK is normally 40 proof, the Italians when I got the pure alcohol did not seen to have any rules.  I used to go there on business with up to 20 other people for several weeks at a time. On one visit to a Pizzeria, the owner was off site and his wife accidently gave us some of his undiluted brew. 
from an American source
Depending on the reflux ratio of your still, you can produce a product up to 95 % ethanol (190 proof). You can't drink it this strong (remember - ethanol can be poisonous); it needs diluting. Get a spirit hydrometer (or one for wine), measure the % alcohol, and dilute it down to around 40 % (whiskey) or 22 % (liqueurs).
When you use a hydrometer, make sure that the alcohol is at the right temperature. If the alcohol is still warm, it will be "lighter" than at the "standard" temperature (usually 20oC), and thus the hydrometer will sink lower in it, making you think that its got more alcohol in it. Wrong. This is where most of the claims of getting 97% purity etc come from - only 96.5% is possible without using a vacuum still, or by drying the alcohol (even then, if left in an open container, it will suck in moisture from the air and dilute itself back to 96.5%). Most hydrometers come with a chart for making temperature adjustments.
SRD
Grafter

I can recall, vaguely, chasing Courage Directors Bitter (for free) with Appleton 151 (degree proof) at 50p the double (or was it the other way round) at the gliding club at RAF Odiham one day followed by an evening at a RAF favoured pub somewhere out in the countryside near there, it must have been a good night as my mate was persuaded to do his famous Elvis impersonation in a packed pub.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont talk rubbish, or have you forgotten the decimal point, at 15.1 it would be a very strong one, the top end beer is about 9.5
SRD
Grafter

Reread dear heart, I said 151 degree proof, not 151 per cent alcohol, 151 degree proof is about 75% alcohol, the bottle has a flame retarder at the neck and is more inhaled than drunk.