Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

these scum theives will steal anything

pierre_pierre
Grafter

these scum theives will steal anything

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2745

The volunteers had been unloading their vehicles after returning from a training exercise when thieves struck, stealing a mobile phone and satnav.
35 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: these scum theives will steal anything

It shouldn't have happened but I do wonder why they need a SatNav.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Why would they need a sat nav? - Many of them act as GPS devices not just sat nav for roads. Note that the article is on pocketGPSworld - GPS meaning GLOBAL not just motoring routes. I think its fair to say up in the mountains and dales that search and rescue crews might well need GPS to navigate around.. crazy as that may sound  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Said by someone that have not walked on fells or mountains
Community Veteran

Are you suggesting that I've never done so or that you never have? - if aimed at me then please feel free to explain how you can qualify that statement!
Clearly the search and rescue guys know exactly what they need as they do the job and if they claim they need GPS, I'd believe them.
itsme
Grafter

It was aimed at you as the Mountain Rescue are very familiar with their area and should not need GPS to find their way on the hills.
Looking at the Mountain Rescue site
[quote=http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/equipment/radios]Recent years have seen the development of GPS tracking, which enables rescue teams not only to manage their searches or plot the whereabouts of a casualty more efficiently, but to track the movements of their team members and the casualty party, on the hill and throughout the rescue]
So they are not use so much for navigation but more for rescue management. Be interested to see how reliable they are today as when I have use them several years ago in Wales and the Lake District they have either been a few hundred yards out or not been able to lock on to the satellites. So never walk without a compass and map.
Community Veteran

So first of all you're questioning why they even need one, I point out a few things, you slate me suggesting I've no idea and then go on to explain why then need them yourself?
Yes, it really ISYOU.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
I think its fair to say up in the mountains and dales that search and rescue crews might well need GPS to navigate around.. crazy as that may sound  Roll eyes

The statement above is incorrect as they don't use them to navigate around. A useful site by a mountain rescuer http://www.safeinthehills.org.uk/Navigation.aspx
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the current GPS devices are accurate to within definitely 10 metre and some within 2M
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: Sprite
I think its fair to say up in the mountains and dales that search and rescue crews might well need GPS to navigate around.. crazy as that may sound  Roll eyes

The statement above is incorrect as they don't use them to navigate around. A useful site by a mountain rescuer http://www.safeinthehills.org.uk/Navigation.aspx

Navigate / pinpoint current location / get heading = same thing - navigation  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my in car sat nav also has a walk setting and will give me the current location that can be passed back to the Air/Sea rescue, with a perfectly adequate accuracy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Back to the original point, those who steal 'for a living' do not care one little bit who they steal from (or what hardship it might cause), they only care about what they can get and how easily they can get it. 'Easy targets' are favoured by these low-lives because it gets them what they want.  Quite simply, those who habitually break the law do not care about other people.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Pity we didn't have some MP along the lines of Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby. Those that don't care, damn well make them care.
I would have thought the obvious use of the GPS device would be to tell the rescuers exactly where the person who needs rescuing is. A mobile might not work in the wilds but GPS would so someone going to get help would be able to give the right coordinates. Better than the vague cross the stream, past the rock, and second bush on the left.
itsme
Grafter

Did any of you read the links I supplied to the Mountain Rescue? If you did you would have read that essential equipment is Map and compass, GPS fall into a useful gadget category. I have done a lot of walking in hills and mountains and I can't remember walking with anyone that used GPS as the only source for route planning.

...and the right equipment
    A map and compass are essential kit and should be easily accessible – not buried in the rucksack!
    A mobile phone and GPS are useful tools but don't rely on your mobile to get you out of trouble – in may areas of the mountains there is no signal coverage.
    Take a whistle and learn the signal for rescue. Six good long blasts. Stop for one minute. Repeat. Carry on the whistle blasts until someone reaches you and don't stop because you've heard a reply – rescuers may be using your blasts as a direction finder.
    A torch (plus spare batteries and bulbs) is a must. Use it for signalling in the same pattern as for whistle blasts.
    At least one reliable watch in the party.
    Cllimbers and mountain bikers should wear a helmet. In winter conditions, an ice-axe, crampons and survival bag are essential.
    Emergency survival kit comprising spare clothing and a bivvi bag.

My experience when we have used one in very bad weather conditions, walking in the clouds with only about 20 feet of visibility, is when the GPS was about 100 metres out and so we selected the wrong path and then after that the GPS could not get a position so walked on the wrong path for over an hour. We were lucky and got off the hill with 30 minutes of light remaining, and for those familiar with the Lake District we were on Red Pike (Wasdale) heading towards Pillar. When you walk on hills and mountains the most important thing is to track you progress on the map because if you lose visibility you can be in  a serious position. When we had the problem on Red Pike I had rough idea were we where on the map but not definitely as I had not been actively tracking  our progress so got overruled in favour of the GPS.  Never again, in fact a few years later I was leading a party in Wales and again the clouds came down and I got out my GPS to confirm our location but it could not lock onto the satellites, but this time I knew were we where and with a compass we stayed on track. Believe that was the last time I carried a GPS.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
Pity we didn't have some MP along the lines of Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby. Those that don't care, damn well make them care.
I would have thought the obvious use of the GPS device would be to tell the rescuers exactly where the person who needs rescuing is. A mobile might not work in the wilds but GPS would so someone going to get help would be able to give the right coordinates. Better than the vague cross the stream, past the rock, and second bush on the left.

Yup, you've got it:
Stick GPS coordinates into the rescue helicopter's moving map display to guide them to the exact right place ASAP.