cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the sun paper + codes thingy!

kdoug007
Grafter

the sun paper + codes thingy!

when this promotion  started  ,, (  to get there  web  site  free) , i couldnt  get the  codes  to  go onto my account,,
i had to pay £1,,,  then i managed it  ok  and canx  .  the  direct debit of £8.67has NOW  been  charged,,,
Eventually i arranged with a  manager  to  refund  me...
NOW the banked  codes  i had  collected  have  gone  AWOL....
  gosh  what a  total  utter mess , this  promotion is    yuk,, 
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: the sun paper + codes thingy!

I used to look at the suns website almost every day. Now I don't even bother I just go to the dailystar. Sure the star is crap but it's still free. Rupert Murdoch is a PI Steaker wanting to take peoples money for his brain washing propaganda after all the trouble he's caused.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

If you go to the local paper shop you'd expect to have to pay for a newspaper so why wouldn't you expect to pay for the web version.  Initially web versions were all free to attract readers but many are now making a charge. Eventually I think they will all be chargeable.
Community Veteran

I think they're going through a trial to be honest. As I said earlier the dailystar isn't bothering and neither are many other news sites such as yahoo or the bbc who make their money from advertising.
Community Veteran

I can't see the Sun making any money while there are still free newspaper sites. All they are doing is alienating the few readers they have left.
Other sites thinking of charging will be watching the Sun attempt to squeeze money people haven't got. As that's going to fail miserably I can't see that more will follow their lead.
It can only be a matter of time before their site has some sort of big promotion banner declaring. "We have listened to our readers, The Sun online is now free".
Community Veteran

I'm surprised the Star has anything worth charging for Wink Wink
The sites that have started charging for content are the hard copy papers.  Yahoo is specifically online and do not have the same cost base.
Before long we will no longer see the in depth investigations such as you can read in the Sunday Times if they can't do something to continue to employ their journalists.
One successful newspaper that has also become successful online is the Daily Mail.  it is the biggest online newspaper in the world.  It is able to draw content from its hard copy edition using the same journalists.
Community Veteran

In fairness I'd actually consider paying for the DM online as their content is pretty decent.
The sun however is rupert murdochs personal brainwashing machine and I certainly wouldn't bother paying to read some of the trash they come up with. Sure I used to enjoy it for some of the articles but not enough that I'd pay for it.
As for the daily star artmo.. yeah you're right (and I did say earlier it wasn't as good!). To be honest it's pretty low quality but sometimes they have something interesting.
Fixes: 125

I used to look at The Sun's site occasionally. Sometimes just to get a different perspective on an article from the MoL's. I think I looked around once a week. Not any more.
I guess one of the reasons I still stick with the MoL is probably because the Daily Mail was the only paper my parents used to have. My dad liked the TV guide layout (back then there were only two channels Smiley) and both liked the crossword and the reporting was a tad above that of the other tabloids. I seem to remember that the DM used to be broadsheet?
Quote from: Sprite
In fairness I'd actually consider paying for the DM online as their content is pretty decent.

I find that, as with most content I've seen online, the reporting in the DM seems quite lazy both in content and grammar. I suspect that comes from having to regularly update the online version to keep it interesting  with new news and articles and their readers returning. One thing I've never done is compared an article online with the printed version. Has anyone done that?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kdoug007
Grafter

well i  would  hate to extend this  debate    further , but  i  will..
on a  sunday  would  anyone  really  pay £2  for a  paper...
no  wonder  the  sun  goes  first at 60p!!
all the  papers  are  having a  rough  time.. and  anyway they can   pull in  readers they will....
the only  other  paper i do like.. is  wendesdays money  mail...
its always  doom and  gloom  , if  not  pensioners  its  mortgages  or  low savings  rates for the next 100 years!!
----
Community Veteran

Each week I pay £2.50 for the Sunday Times and £1.50 for the Mail on Sunday. In general I think this is good value.  Gives me a good read all day.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I glance at the Daily Mirror app on my iPad Monday to Friday but it is chargeable at the weekends. I gave up on The Sun when they started charging. Quite frankly I wouldn't ever pay to read any newspaper (occasionally when on holiday being the only exception) when the news is available free on the net or TV anyway. Lets face it most of these papers are adverts and show biz gossip anyway and not really worth looking at.  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The last time I saw the Sun... it was free.... ( about half an hour ago, before the rain started !  Cheesy )
Seriously though.... why do people buy "news" papers.... they only contain "history".... i.e. what has happened... not what IS happening.... What HAS happened, is history... even more seriously, why do people buy The Sun ?  every time I have picked up a copy, it is free.... someone else left it behind...so, on that basis, it can`t be worth much,,,... or contain much worth paying for and keeping ....  Huh
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I guess one of the reasons I still stick with the MoL is probably because the Daily Mail was the only paper my parents used to have. My dad liked the TV guide layout (back then there were only two channels Smiley) and both liked the crossword and the reporting was a tad above that of the other tabloids. I seem to remember that the DM used to be broadsheet?

Yes that's right. Most of our newspapers were broadsheets.  Even The Times is now available in tabloid form.
Quote from: Mav
I find that, as with most content I've seen online, the reporting in the DM seems quite lazy both in content and grammar. I suspect that comes from having to regularly update the online version to keep it interesting  with new news and articles and their readers returning. One thing I've never done is compared an article online with the printed version. Has anyone done that?

The content is basically the same but of course the online version is regularly updated.
I play tennis with one of the editors of the online version.  He confirms what you say about some of the grammar. It is caused by the speed of production and it gives the newsroom a laugh.  They even have readers who delight in pointing out their errors to them.