cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the road to Wigan

magnetism2772
Grafter

the road to Wigan

There is a long passage in Wigan Pier in which Orwell demonstrates an inability to imagine what people might do with the leisure time provided by technology. Say you decide you'd like to make a table, he suggests, just for fun. But—but—thanks to machines, you can just buy a table!
imagine how creative we all could be if we didn't have these goddamn computers holding us back. Tragic, it is.
machines. "In such circumstances it is nonsense to talk of 'creative work,'"
4 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: the road to Wigan

well here is some of mine, when not looking at your rubbish
thisoldman
Grafter

Cheesy
which one is your begging bowl  pierre.    soz  i coudnt resist asking that q
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well just got back from a carpal tunnel op so bit out of the handicrafts for a few weeks, below is a full size of this one - the Camargue horses in  cross stitch

Denzil
Grafter

Use of technology doesn't need to hamper creativity. I use computers all the time, yet I feel able in my small way to dabble in garden design, and even apply brush to paper occasionally. Technology in itself can be a creative medium. How about this, for example (which I have posted before)?
To take the table example, if you wanted to be really creative you could use 3D modelling software to try out a wacky design with complex joints before you made it for real.