cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the "United" kingdom: dont make me laugh

thisoldman
Grafter

the "United" kingdom: dont make me laugh

The key question i wish you to consider in this post is, "is there such a thing as a "United Kingdom" anymore.
Scottish students get free  university education, english students face massive increases.
Scottish eldery people are entitled to free residential care whilst english people have to sell their homes to pay for care.
Scottish and English laws differ widely esp on criminal law.
Council Tax varies enormously depending on what part of the uk you reside.
Council services vary betwen countries.
Scottish Mps can vote  on english matters in HOC but  English Mps have no control over scotland's affairs.
I think by now you are getting the gist, so let me move on.
The Ussr and Yugosolavia  split up into seperate countries, respectively.
Lst night i was sent a private "think tank " report, which suggested that in 5 years time, we shall see total devolution on the uk.,
ie, Scotland, England and Wales will become  seperate and independent nations.
Is this what any of you would like to see happen?
I would very much appreciate your views , before i respond to the as yet unpublished report.
14 REPLIES
greyposter
Grafter

Re: the "United" kingdom: dont make me laugh

I think that it wouldn't happen but one never knows.
Fixes: 102

It won't happen because as much as the other countries bleat about independance they can't cope without subsides provided by the English tax-payer.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: greyposter

Your wrong it will happen.  Sad
itsme
Grafter

How will it be funded?
Fixes: 102

Quote from: Midnight

Your wrong it will happen.  Sad

Can you exapand on that?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

United Kingdom, in the same way as United States, it doesn't mean a union of the same, it means a union between those with differences.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Midnight

Your wrong it will happen.   Sad

Of course it will. Thats what the whole handing over of power was about in the first place. Lets not forget both Tony Liar and Greedy Gordon both have Scottish Roots. The scots have always wanted independence from England.. although in reality it doesn't matter much as the Queen is of Scottish origin anyway.
Frankly I think Northern Ireland would be a good thing - let it go and end the IRA rebellion against the UK once and for all. We don't need to be poking our noses into their country. Ireland is and always has been a seperate country but thats for another topic.
With regards to Wales and Scotland its pretty obvious that the Scots are gradually being released. While this doesn't really concern me it does concern me that they get loads of free perks which we pay for AND that in the years to come it will probably continue to be that way even though they're completely seperate. What also worries me is the age old situation of one invading the other and the loss of life that comes with it. It's all easy enough to say that it won't happen because of diplomatic relations etc but we all know how arguements start and get very heated.. next thing you know you want to show them whats what and resort to violence if you're not careful - It's how entire countries have ended up in war.
I do think its very very wrong though how we brits are essentially being worked into the ground to pay for others to live the life of riley. Why should the Scottish people get their education and prescriptions paid for by me? - Don't get me wrong I've nothing against the Scots and one of my best friends is Scottish but lets have some fairness please. My friend comes from a well to do home, went to Uni, dropped out, did the student drinking lifestyle, went back to uni, got qualified and now earns just under £50k per year. I come from nothing, am english and earn substantially less than that, have to pay my own prescriptions and can't afford higher education to make something better for myself or future family. THAT is a MASSIVE difference in fairness isn't it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thisoldman
Grafter

well said  okrz
You know every time I read your posts  i get angry. You have so much ability, yet so far you strive to  seek satisfaction. Wish I could help you.
thisoldman
Grafter

I do apologise that I am not permitted  to disclose the detail in the think tank eport, but one item has worried me.

ie..........the report suggests that full independnce may  only be achieved by civil war, as people become really disillusioned by the differences
described by okrz.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman

well said  okrz
You know every time I read your posts  i get angry. You have so much ability, yet so far you strive to  seek satisfaction. Wish I could help you.

You know what frustrates me most? - I know many people... most of whom are not as skilled or don't understand things as clearly as myself and yet they get far further in life. They either have the right contacts or life treats them to a lot of luck!
I've become very frustrated by it all to be honest.
thisoldman
Grafter

ok okz  let me see what i can do.

if you want to go to univ please tell me  what course you would like to do and which area/univ  youd like to go to and ill pull a few strings for you
itsme
Grafter

From experience I have found that people get on within a job if they are prepared to make decisions and stick with them without going to their immediate manager for approval all the time.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
ok okz  let me see what i can do.

if you want to go to univ please tell me  what course you would like to do and which area/univ  youd like to go to and ill pull a few strings for you

To be honest fella, there's little you or anyone could do for me even if you did have those abilities. I'm one of the countries poor people and the country will do anything it can to keep me like that. See in a capitalist society it relies on the poor to keep working to keep spending so those up the top can continue to be propped up and keep getting richer. Thats just the way it is. If I found myself a tax loophole I'd be banged up faster than you can imagine but if its a politician or rich businessman... you know.. those who could really make a difference..
I've suffered so many kicks in the teeth over the years I've learned to accept I'm not going up the ladder. The state has held me back in so many ways that its unreal. I could probably write a book or even a film based on what I've been through but I'd hate to spread more negativity.
You know what really does **** me off though? - I never wanted any of this. I was born into a world where I've been demonized as scum, treated like scum, then blamed for being scum.. and for what? - Being brought up by a single mum in the 80's. All I've ever tried to do is to get better and drag myself out of the pit. What did I want from life? - To invent. I've always been fascinated by technical things and ever since I can remember I've had dreams of inventing things. Even now I still typically have ideas that are ahead of everyone else but society has chosen to exclude people like me from doing any good. Then they complain about how countries like China and Japan are overtaking us? - What a nerve! In a time of war this country would of once turned to people who had ideas that were 'out of the box'. Now those of us who have ideas that just come to them are treated like dirt because we don't treat money like our god.
No sir, I want nothing now.. I'm quite happy working in my low-life-scum job paying for someone in Scotland to have all the perks in life and for an MP to have anything he wants because I've worked my backside off for him! You know something which always makes me sad.. When we're young we pretty much all start life wanting to do the right thing, wanting to help others and wanting to make a difference. Yet what saddens me is that as we get older we're only rewarded for being selfish and treating others with as little respect as possible. I frequently lend people my tools so they can fix their cars... yet they nearly always come back damaged, broken, or our car inherits scratches where they've accidentally dragged a gearbox along the side of it or slammed a car door into it yet I still help them repeatedly time and time again. Despite our car sitting there dead they never offer to help to get it running.
You know re-reading my post makes me question my own state of mind. There is one thing that makes me realise though that I am still sane, I'm not stark raving bonkers and there is still logic to what I say.. and its this:
No matter what I've been through and no matter how hard its been, I am not alone.
I feel I've now said enough here that I've over described myself and the problems life has thrown my way. I feel a bit embarrassed and will now have to consider my future on this forum carefully.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Okrzynska,
This negative stuff will not help you, it just feeds on itself.
Life has possibly offered you a raw deal, I was also brought up by a single mother in the 1950s and we had very little, not really a problem then as most others didn't have much either.
I Don't know your circumstances but I guess your health is ok which is something money can't buy and if you can,  think outside the box, and consider what life changes you can make and whats stopping you making them.
A Lot of these rich people are no brighter than anybody else and yes they may have had opportunities you never got but equally some people have done well coming from poor backgrounds.
To dwell on how you have been treated in the past just creates anger & frustration which you take out on other people and blocks your progress in thinking in a positive light.
Just figure out what you would like to do and providing its  legal then just go for it otherwise nothing will change for you apart from your level of depression.