cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the cold does bring some good things

pierre_pierre
Grafter

the cold does bring some good things

we do get some of the thrush family in our small garden blackbirds and robins, but this morning was different, at least two song thrush on the feeders, havnt seen them for months, but did have them nest a couple of years ago.
Then a biggish flock of Redwings came - at least 10 but difficult to count, they started to demolish the Ivy bush which was full of berries

thrush family
Bird guide
    Black redstart
    Blackbird
    Bluethroat
    Fieldfare
    Mistle thrush
    Nightingale
    Redstart
    Redwing
    Ring ouzel
    Robin
    Song thrush
    Stonechat
    Wheatear
    Whinchat
18 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: the cold does bring some good things

Just had a mistle thrush as well

Song Thrush

Mistle thrush
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nice looking birds !
annerimmington
Grafter

We had a flock of around 7 fieldfare in our garden on Sunday..............never seen one before but they are beautiful - similar to a thrush but more grey coloured and with a white/cream underbelly.  Quite unusual to see them in town and city gardens apparently as the countryside/woods are their usual habitat.  They come over from Scandanavia for the winter (bet it`s warmer over there right now)!    Me and my neighbour spend a fortune feeding our vast array of birds - we are lucky that our gardens border vast undergrowth/trees that border a railway line.  We get a huge array of birds - this time of year we make sure they get lots of food containing fat for energy - so lots of suet pellets, grated cheese (the robins adore the cheese), sunflower hearts (cost me a small fortune but they are THE best all round bird food) and of course fresh drinking water. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

morning Anne
the fieldfare is a member of the thrush family
around here in Essex in the ploughed fields it is not unusual to see flocks of over a hundred in the winter, not been out much recently so not seen any
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just got a big flush of redwings, could see 34 plus whatever was hidden, managed a few pics from my kitchen window
randpwar
Grafter

Don’t get any in the garden but I’ve seen what seems to be many more than previous winters whilst walking the dog in the fields that surround the village. I started a thread a couple of months ago after Dylan (Lakeland Terrier…..definitely not a bird watcher, we could have eaten pheasant last week if he’d a bit more attentive  Wink) and I disturbed a combined Fieldfare and Redwing flock of about 200 birds. They flew out of the hedgerow as we walked up to the hedge on the opposite side of the field and then back again after we’d passed; must have been better berries that side
Lovely birds and very welcome visitors
annerimmington
Grafter

Never seen a redwing - they are beautiful.  I guess living in the country means you see far more unusual birds (well unusual to we city dwellers !!  I get excited if I see a blackcap or woodpecker!!  I love observing  our birds on the feeding stations we have..................and oh boy are those thrushes bully boys !!!      They sit in the trees in our garden and become quite aggressive if any other birds (especially blackbirds "dare" to come down to feed !!!      Our big problem is those pesky grey squirrels..............we have tried everything to deter them - you name it we`ve tried it.............spent loads of money last year on supposedly "squirrel proof" lantern feeders.  They seemed to be working until one day I noticed one of them (we have at least 3 of the little blighters !) had managed to climb through the bars and was stuffing its face with peanuts!!)      I`ve heard that sprinkling chilli powder with the birds seed apparently deters them so I might give that a try!!    Anyone have any other tips we could try please ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Untill about 15 years ago, might have said I live near the countryside, about 150 mtr  with lots of thick hedges between us and the dual carriageway main road, the a developer turned up, wanted to do away with a public foot path along the nearest hedge line,council said no, so they appealed, went to high court and on the morning it got refused they grubbed out the hedges.
Now we get loads of road noise and the nearest field is the one at the local school.  it took a long time for the birds to come back

Squirells, yes I have heard that about chilli powder
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: annerimmington
I get excited if I see a blackcap or woodpecker!!   

So do I  Smiley and we do live in a rural area. Fieldfare and Redwings (in particular), can very often be seen in parks even in large citys; get yourself down there and take a look
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@annerimmington, If your "lantern feeder" is on a steel pole put some axle grease on the pole that should help to stop the grey squirrels.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Alternatively sheath the pole in a round plastic drainpipe - they can't climb up that
Of course if you are feeling really nasty do what a colleague of mine did - coat the pole with very hot curry powder/vegetable oil mix
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Our forum moderators have a very dark side don't they? Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Oldjim, Would that work for these 'birds'?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

what has that got to do with squirrels  Shocked