Did you mean: 

stories about speeding through 2008

pierre_pierre
Grafter

stories about speeding through 2008

16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: stories about speeding through 2008

Impose on vehicle manufacturers a requirement to limit ALL vehicles to a maximum speed of 25mph. That way no-one will be killed as statistics show.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

That's because everyone would stay at home as it would take too long to get anywhere  Crazy
Will Moderate For Thanks

..but think how good the welcome would be as visits would be so rare Cheesy
Fixes: 105

5 hours instead of 2 to my parents means visits would be non-existent!
Will Moderate For Thanks

Quote from: Strat
Impose on vehicle manufacturers a requirement to limit ALL vehicles to a maximum speed of 25mph. That way no-one will be killed as statistics show.

I'm not normally given to moments of foreseeing the future but......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7803997.stm
Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Does that mean we can all take 30 minutes to overtake another car on a dual carriageway  Grin

Overtaking is the big concern for people in the news item and probably for motorists in general.
Of course if everyone is doing 70 on a motorway then overtaking is irrelevant.....however not everyone does 70. Some do 60-65 Undecided
I wouldn't like the idea of my car deciding to brake halfway through an overtaking manoeuvre Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I heard about this on Radio 4's Today program. They are recommending an override similar to an automatics kick-down to provide for safe overtaking.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yet another poorly thought out government idea.
Which doesn't tackle the issue of inappropriate speed for the road conditions.
It might be legal to do 60 on a single carriageway, but would you do that on an icy road, or where you have reduced visibility, like fog?
Anyway, the PC brigade have gotten into London Borough Of Bexley management, as they're into humps galore and stupid 20 MPH limits at the moment Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: Alex
Yet another poorly thought out government idea.

Really?
The Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.

When the public freely blame the current government for anything and everything I'd suggest we get the government we deserve.
Community Veteran

Just seen this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/4016444/Drivers-to-have-10-year-health-checks-under-driver-licen...
When applying for the licence, motorists would be expected to declare that they are fit to drive.
To check, they will be offered voluntary tests.
The new tests would include an eye examination to determine whether a driver can still read a number plate from 67 feet and a series of cognitive checks measuring reaction times.
Community Veteran

Having had in the past a coming together (thankfully minor) with a doddery old fool that wouldn't have been safe to allow to drive a trolley round Tesco's all I can say is what a jolly good idea!
Community Veteran

The part which worries me is the cognitive test for reaction times - how do they set the limit and how do they test it - is this just another method of raising money
For the first time, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will issue a series of minimum physical and mental requirements motorists must fulfil including eyesight performance and reaction times.
Tests, costing up to £80, will be offered to drivers to check whether they are fit to drive.
Anyone who chooses not to take the tests but declares themselves able to take to the roads will be committing a criminal offence if they fail to meet the established standards.
So how does a driver know if he can pass the test except by forking out £80 a go.
As we oldies already have free eye tests can we have free reaction time tests from our GP then
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My Mum, Bless her Rotten Socks used to live in the Welsh Border Country, the nearest shop was about two miles away.  The over 70 licence just asks you are you fit to drive, no asking the doctor or test.
About three years aago My sister went to see here and found that she had broken her shoulder, but was still driving,  She came out of her road slowly as she couldnt turn her head to look - stated they should be able to stop for me  then asked how she drove with one hand, Oh thats OK, I normally drive with one hand up to shield the Sun.
Net result she now lives with my sister, her car sold, her driving licence returned to DVLA.

Speed Limiters,  They are going to put a ban on Trucks using the outer of two lanes on the Northern part of the M11, Its takes to long for vehicles doing 56MPH to overtake.  Apparently there is a ban on the A14 in parts.
I have driven vehicles other than trucks with speed limiters, it is disconcerting when it cuts in