Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stealth car tax on the way

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

stealth car tax on the way

Have a read of this if you  drive a "family saloon"

A host of family cars bought before March 2006  -  many used every day for the school run  -  will see their road tax double from £210 to more than £430.
Full  article for your edification and perusal here.....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1022066/The-road-tax-rebellion-MPs-demand-U-turn-extra-levy-...
54 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: stealth car tax on the way

so what it might get a few Chelsea Tractors of the Road
nadger
Rising Star

Just checked DVLA site for 2009/2010  rates and my car, at 170g/Km, just about breaks even with a £5 increase each year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: pierre_pierre
so what it might get a few Chelsea Tractors of the Road
That is the sort of ill informed comment which gets my goat. We are talking about family cars with a slightly larger engine than normal and people in country areas who need 4 wheel drive vehicles. The argument that it will reduce CO2 is rubbish. The emissions involved in scrapping a perfectly good car and buying a new one totally outweigh the extra CO2 from running the car.
This is a vindictive tax which takes no account of the annual mileage of the car. So a family or retired person who has such a vehicle and only do about 5,000 miles per year could be hit with the equivalent of an extra £1 per gallon on their motoring costs.
A host of family cars bought before March 2006  -  many used every day for the school run  -  will see their road tax double from £210 to more than £430.
These include the Vauxhall Zafira 2.0i, the Vauxhall Vectra 2.8i V6 Turbo, the Renault Espace 2.0 Turbo 170, the Ford Galaxy 2.3i Zetec, the VW Passat 3.2 estate and the Honda Accord Tourer 2.4
Labour MP Rob Marris, a junior member of the Government, said there was a "significant risk" the issue would outstrip the storm over the 10p starting rate of tax.
"It is retrospective taxation and that is undesirable," he added.
"Millions of people will be affected. Medium- sized family cars, depending on what sort of engine they have got and what size of CO2 emissions they have got, could be hit very hard."
Neil Greig of the Institute of Advanced Motorists said: "This will affect millions of motorists and is particularly unfair to those who bought a car based on the size of their family and will now be hit with a tax they weren't expecting."
Community Veteran

Both of my cars are 1998 vintage so pay exactly the same road tax despite being hugely different in engine size. I could whinge about that but I don't.
If I bought the new equivalent I'd probably be paying pretty similar in total.
As for the "school run" we used to mostly walk our kids to school (about a mile) whereas nowadays in the same area they are nearly all driven (lesser distances too). And if we did drive them we had either a small car or at most a 1.7 litre largish family hatchback which was more than adequate for the 5 of us to go on holiday.
Especially with modern engines and traffic you don't NEED a 2.3 or 2.6 engine in a family runabout that doesn't go over 30mph very often. A small turbodiesel is more than adequate. And add a good sequential gearbox or CVT and it's even better.
nadger
Rising Star

Oldjim's comment made me think so just worked out my effective per gallon cost of adding fuel and road tax together.
I doubt I'll do over 3,000 miles this year. Road Tax is £170 and I've assumed £5.10/gallon and 42mpg. This all makes my effective cost per gallon about £7.50 unless my sums are wrong.
Community Veteran

What about servicing, repairs, tyres/consumables, insurance etc.?
When I add all that up fuel is only a fraction of my running costs.
(about 6,000 miles on each of 2 cars between us)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
These include the Vauxhall Zafira 2.0i, the Vauxhall Vectra 2.8i V6 Turbo, the Renault Espace 2.0 Turbo 170, the Ford Galaxy 2.3i Zetec, the VW Passat 3.2 estate and the Honda Accord Tourer 2.4
Labour MP Rob Marris, a junior member of the Government, said there was a "significant risk" the issue would outstrip the storm over the 10p starting rate of tax.

About time something was done about the "mine is bigger than yours" culture among car owners. I have a Zafira - it has plenty of acceleration to overtake safely. Last summer it took 4 adults, a boot full of luggage, plus a large roof box down to the south west and at no point did I find a lack of power. It cruised quite happily at 70mph and a bit. It's a 1.6i - so why do people need larger engines?
Also it's typical Daily Mail reporting:

Scare all Zafira owners when it only applies to those with larger engine sizes.
I do feel sorry for people who need vehicles with larger engines for genuine reasons, particularly if they only do low mileage. But increased fuel costs are not changing peoples purchasing and driving habits - so any suggestions on what could be done instead?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Also it's typical Daily Mail reporting

Nuff sed!  Grin Grin
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
What about servicing, repairs, tyres/consumables, insurance etc.?
When I add all that up fuel is only a fraction of my running costs.
Insurance/Breakdown Cover adds another £5.25/gallon. MOT & Cambelt Change (no other repairs) added £3.00/gallon so we are up to £15.75/gallon  Cry
Community Veteran

So around 40p/mile, which is what the taxman has allowed for some years. But that's also supposed to include depreciation.  Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

I never calculated my tax that way as all vehicle expenses were charged as was running sameday courier service. When I was VAT registered that used to help quite a bit, as well.
Very glad that my early motoring days were at 25p per gallon ( 4 galls for a quid)  Smiley
Community Veteran

Likewise.... now well over 4 quids a gallon  Cheesy  However, early motoring was so much pleasure for me, (freedom of the road etc.,) that I got "hooked"..... I still enjoy driving, ...when I forget how much it hurts !  Cry
nadger
Rising Star

Now over £5/gallon  Cry
Community Veteran

Yes, (I was having a "play on words )  Diesel round here (portsmouth) is now £5.67 per gall (or was yesterday) don`t know about today`s inflationary rise....  Undecided Cry