cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spooky happening?

jmd
Grafter

spooky happening?

This morning I was woken at 4.05am by voices coming from downstairs!  I lay there for a few minutes thinking what is it?  The dog slept on in her bed on the floor - she obviously was not concerned.
So I got up and listened at top of stairs and thought oh, it sounds like television.  But I know I turned the television and the Humax PVR off when I came to bed and anyway I would have heard the sound before now as it was quite loud! 
Then crept down stairs and opened door into living room and yes, it was the television on  and the Humax PVR! 
So I turned them both off, returned to bed and lay there for an hour trying to work out why they had suddenly come on?  Because I certainly had not left them on!!
It was very odd but anyone has any ideas please say so!
7 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: spooky happening?

were they fully of or on standby and do you use a remote.
I have an annoying neighbour who comes in at about 3 am, but not sure which one, could be any one of five, and manages to swich on some of my items, change the channels on the remote control,  OK for a month and then off again
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Was going to suggest that but Pierre beat me to it.
Is your remote Infrared or RF type. Neighbours remote through the walls (RF type), more than likely over the road (two glass windows for IR type). Possibly needs certain atmospheric conditions.

jmd
Grafter

Not sure what type of remote controls they are for each machine!  Did not realise could be different................
the TV and PVR where both off but on standby.  Don't know why it should be neighbours as it has not happened before! 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

An IR one has to be in line of sight, the other can work if it cant see the machine.  Second thoughts, I havnt seen a TV or Recorder/tuner that isnt IR
Community Veteran

it's poltergeists you need to watch out for.  they can sneak in anywhere, anytime.  you'll know when one of them tickles you under the nose while you sleep.  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
the TV and PVR where both off but on standby. 

Another explanation as the TV and PVR were in standby is a power glitch.
jmd
Grafter

Don't think it was anything to do with power surge as I have a special smoke alarm [vibrates under pillow] and the control pod for that will show anything like that and you have to reset it. There was nothing showing on there though.
Just strange......................