cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smileys for my emails in IE6

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

smileys for my emails in IE6

Does anyone know of a way to add smileys to emails in IE6, please ?
And also, please can we have the afro man smiley back on the list.....
Let`s hear it for the afro man....
37 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: smileys for my emails in IE6

Jelv did a post this morning in another  thread  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Pierre, don`t be evasive..... which post.... I can`t remember seeing anything about afro man apart from yours saying they were all fixed    except afro man.....  and he aint appearing above this message box at the moment... Cry
N/A

Are you sure Jelv posted something this morning?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=160;sa=showPosts
Looks to me like he's not made such a post today....  Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

James_H dont beat around the bush so much whats this
« Reply #70 on Today at 10:53 »
[img]http://community.plus.net/forum/Smileys/plusnet/rolleyes.gif[/ i m g]Works in the meantime as a short workaround.  Tongue

twas in
Re: Update on this morning's outage [Off Topic]

Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
James_H dont beat around the bush so much whats this
« Reply #70 on Today at 10:53 »
Works in the meantime as a short workaround.  Tongue

Well it aint about  afro man  that`s for sure...... Cry Cry Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have modified my last as I dont know how, but James got it to print out in clear.
In your first post you intimated that you cold not get any to work in I.E.6.  at this moment in time I dont think anybody can,, if we look back at some old postings, we might be able to find an afro man to copy.
N/A

To get the bbcode to not be parsed (converted) you can use some tags to specify that bbcode won't be used, and your text will appear as you enter it (but formatted to fit the page/break over lines etc)
The tags you use are [nobbc] text in here [/nobbc]
So to make the bit above appear, I typed [nobbc][img]http://community.plus.net/forum/Smileys/plusnet/rolleyes.gif[/ img][/nobbc]
Although, to get the  [nobbc] tag to appear, I had to wrap it in an extra pair of tags in this example (if you follow my meaning)
Anyways, what did I mean by it?
Well, I guess you found that when you tried to quote the text and since it wasn't wrapped in the  [nobbc] tags it got parsed and replaced by the smiley for rolleyes Wink
Community Veteran

Erm....   Roll eyes  Roll eyes  Roll eyes In my original post, I was enquiring ....

not this forum. but externally of plusnet, in "my emails in IE6" ..... Roll eyes
N/A

Depends I guess - how are you using IE6 to send mails? Via something like squirrelmail?
If you send them in html format, you can use html tags to insert the image, but if the person receiving it specifies that they want to only receive messages in plain text, it won't work properly.
Community Veteran

I just use the "bog standard" email system as provided in IE6..... I have mine set for "plain text" as most people have to read them in plain language ! !... I do not understand HTML language, so therefore declined to use that in my emails...
I just wondered if there was a add on, or something out there that would give the smiley facility for ordinary emails..... Roll eyes
And..................... Bring back afro man.................. Angry
James
Grafter

You could always try the horrific Incredimail programme which allows you to send God awful pictures on God awful backgrounds that infuriates the recipient of your email Cheesy
I hereby also apologise to any Incredimail users out there Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just had a good look back at all my posting, it seems that as with avitars, PN changes the smileys on all previous posting to the current set, there is a picture somewhere from either oldjim or someone like him of the smileys within pug, perhaps James would be nice and tell us the names of the smiles in those pictures?b Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
Erm....  Roll eyes  Roll eyes  Roll eyes In my original post, I was enquiring ....

not this forum. but externally of plusnet, in "my emails in IE6" ..... Roll eyes

I think thats a bit easier, do you mean outlook express, if so at the top format, then at the bottom of the drop down select html instead of rich text, then put the link that James gave where you want it.
I think that only works for the current e mail and doesnt change the defalt.
N/A

Quote from: pierre_pierre
perhaps James would be nice and tell us the names of the smiles in those pictures?b Roll eyes
All you need to do is right-click on the picture, and choose properties.
You'll see the web address where the picture is actually hosted, and you can include that between [img] and [/img] tags to make the image appear.
One thing to note though, this is a form of 'hotlinking' the images, because the actual image resides on the original host server, thus whenever anybody views the page showing the image, it uses some of the original hosts bandwidth.
Its not a problem for PUG if we 'steal' their bandwidth, since its all provided free by PN for us anyway, but you should avoid doing this for large images, and for images from other peoples sites, as depending on their hosting arrangements it could put them over their limit and take their site down, or cost them money.

As far as the images changing, this kinda explains it.
If you hotlink an image, only one copy of that image exists, and its provided fresh when you visit a page.
If the image changes, all instances of it change.
(Thats why the avatars change when you update it just once. It also explains Barry's ever changing avatar, as he uses a little php script to serve up a random image from a selection of images)
For smilies, the actual code you enter for the smiley remains as the text you enter, but as the server builds the page to send to your browser, it substitutes it for the image thats been defined.
If we change the definition of the image, the new image is served up instead.
Geddit?
If I made a hash of explaining, shout up and I'll have another bash!