Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smell of gas

sweafe
Grafter

smell of gas

i work in a call centre and every now and then we keep smelling gas
it happens about 3-4 times a day and people are getting head aches, becoming dizzy and stinging of eyes
the health and saftey woman says we dont use gas heating so it cant be that and they are deciding to ignore it
surley this cant be good for your health? Undecided
15 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: smell of gas

you should still ask your local gas company, As an ex safety rep I say go over her head
Community Veteran

Personally, I would just phone Transco and report the smell of gas, give the address of the premises then sit back and wait Smiley
B.
Community Veteran

Indeed. Ok, I know nothing about worplace ethics in this sense, but whenever you see a gas maintenance van they always say very clearly ‘if you smell gas, call this number‘ or words to that effect. So irrespective of what anyone else believes, I think that's precisely what you should do.
nadger
Rising Star

Agreed that's the most sensible course of action and Transco would take it seriously.
Community Veteran

No offence, but often these symptoms are more to do with the mind than the smell.  Having said that, it's no excuse not to investigate.
I believe that the gas we use in this country won't cause those symptoms (and therefore the fact you don't use gas heating is irrelevant), although if it is gas, there could be the danger of an explosion (just to worry you some more)
The smell may of course be something else.  If the building has recently had new carpets, it could be solvents, (which could cause those symptoms) and I suppose if the arrival of the smell coincides with heating pipes under the floor getting hot, then that could be your answer, but of course it's entirely guesswork.  I'm sure someone will be along in a little while with a totally different theory (which is equally likely to be true)
How long has this been happening, and does it coincide with any changes in the building?
I suppose none of this helps really, but hopefully someone will come up with a plausible answer.
John
sweafe
Grafter

its been happening since the start of the week
there is a warehouse in the same building but who knows what they do in there
still its not a pleasent smell and people have been getting head aches and mention nothing about the smell
there has been no new carpets or equiptment on this floor so it cant be anything like that.
at times it smells like pure gas then others it sort of smells like a bunsn burner
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Where I used to work, we had a Contractor working on the roof, and his burner was found to be near the heating input, luckly it was summer when we evacuated 3000 people
Community Veteran

Pure gas (of the gas heating variety) doesn't have a smell, they put a stenching agent into it, so that people notice the danger.  It's quite a distinctive smell I agree. Whatever it is, it does need to be investigated - if there's no danger then that's great, but odd smells that weren't there before must mean something (now I'm thinking about my son home from uni at the moment  Crazy )
I really don't know the answer, other than to find out what's changed in the last week.
One thing springs to mind - in the last week, we've had the coldest weather for many years - you've got a warehouse in the same building (which sounds odd) - have they hired in space heaters, because of the weather?
John
Community Veteran

Maybe it was all the sprouts eaten over Christmas  Roll eyes
sweafe
Grafter

haha they are some canny sprouts then  Shocked
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Air conditioning sucking in fumes from vehicles stopped close by the intake with their engines left running? Perhaps more likely to happen in very cold weather.
Addnan
Grafter

There is no point in taking the risk and assuming that it is something that is not dangerous. You don't want to come to regret it, so I think you should just call the gas company or do you call the national grid? I can't remember.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

the health and saftey woman says we dont use gas heating so it cant be that and they are deciding to ignore it

Call 0800 111 999
(If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, you can call 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night every day of the year.)
Put your concerns in writing (just a brief note, email will do, copying to your line manager stating time, location, and the fact you've mentioned it before)  to the "safety woman",
Community Veteran

It's the same as for other emergency services -
I've worked with control room managers for all three - plus British Gas and without exception - they have told me that they would much rather have a call from people genuinely concerned early rather than too late - tell them you are not 100% concerned about a possible problem - and they will decide whether to attend.
I've called 999 / 112 many  times - and explained the situation to them - and I've never been told I was wasting their time.
Of course they do get a lot of really silly calls - which we've probably all heard about - for very trivial things - but the smell of gas is not a trivial thing.