Did you mean: 

should they ban trucks on Motorways?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

should they ban trucks on Motorways?

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: should they ban trucks on Motorways?

deleted
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This sort of thing seems rare on motorways. It is all too common elsewhere. I have lost count of the number of rail journeys that I have had disrupted waiting for an engineer to check out a bridge that a lorry has struck. Banning lorries from motorways will just move the problem elsewhere.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not something they would ever do, just think of the problems they would cause !
As someone once said "almost everything you have has come on a truck"
What i would do is suggest slow moving trucks should not hog the middle lane and I would introduce a fingerprint system for each driver to log on and off when driving so the maximum number of hours per day was not exceeded.
I guess some of the top reasons for lorry accidents is tiredness & boredom which can be reduced if more rest breaks are taken.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there is a section of the M11 just south of J9 where vehicles over 7.5 tonne are forbidden to overtake during the day
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/250246/lorry_overtaking_ban_halts_elephant_racing....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Motorways are built to facilitate the transport of goods by lorries. Banning the lorries would seem counterproductive.
It would be better if the highway authorities installed high pressure water mist (circa 150 atmospheres pressure) fire suppression systems in the ceiling of the tunnels. These systems are great to extinguishing most types of fire  without endangering the people in the environs.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hope nothing like that happens in the Hindhead Tunnel, when it opens.... Tomorrow 27 July 2011.... for southbound traffic.... northbound traffic a couple of days later..  twin bored tunnels of 1.2 miles long on a new 4 mile stetch of road, started 2007....
The opening of this tunnel route, will remove the huge bottle neck (four ways of traffic) caused by the only traffic lights between (outer)  London and Portsmouth on the A3 London to Portsmouth road.
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/3832.aspx
Also Google Images  "hindhead tunnel" for some great pics...
Community Veteran

If you ban trucks from motorways the whole county would grind to a halt with in days.
If you have it ....a truck brought it. Remenber that