cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should alarms not hooked up to a auto response system be illegal?

Community Veteran

should alarms not hooked up to a auto response system be illegal?

It seems their only purpose is for insurance purposes.
Lately around here (I live near shops) has been a lot of night time alarms going off, the trend is also they always go off for much longer than 20 mins and the police refuse to respond unless its the bank (when it was lloyds tsb 4 squad cars were here in 2-3 mins sirens/lights).  Since its pretty much always a false alarm and the police wont attend everyone seems to just ignore them.  There is one going off right now, it starts for 30 seconds, stops for 10 seconds and then restarts.  Has been doing this for almost 3 hours.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: should alarms not hooked up to a auto response system be illegal?

Call up your local council, longer than 20 minutes and they can be served with a noise abatement order or whatever they call it, as it is an obnoxious noise that shouldn't go on for more than 5 minutes really...
To be honest, it seems pointless having alarms these days, people just ignore them, about the only good they do is the box on the wall acts as a deterrent, whether or not it's functional, our alarm system is dead as a dodo, but the bell box outside is intact and fully on show, and the only houses round here that have been broken into are the ones without bellboxes on the wall, so you may aswell just fit a dummy bellbox with a bit of fake wiring leading up to it... Smiley
But as for the auto-response systems, well, yeah, they're useful in getting the alarm turned off, but, for actually getting the boys in blue out every time it's set off, good luck... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Our automatic alarm system has no complex electronics.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I don't think the Police should be expected to attend alarm calls. Hopefully they have better things to do.
Bells only alarm systems are no longer fitted in commercial premises. Alarm systems have to be connected to a monitoring company.
Fixes: 47

I used to be on 24 hour call out for the company where I worked.
I lost count of the number of times the alarm was triggered by a bird trapped in the warehouse.
If I couldn't get rid of the bird (usually) I would disable that zone.
The police were supposed to attend if we received 2 confirmed activations in 10 minutes...I never saw them.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
PowerLee
Rising Star

Warehouse I used to be based at, the fire alarm system was set of if a bird got inside & tripped one of the beams.
It went of so often ( at least once per month ) the fire brigade cancelled the auto response to an alarm activation.
Parents house alarm rings my mobile if it's triggered, really handy when my dad used to come home slightly merry from the pub every so often Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
Call up your local council, longer than 20 minutes and they can be served with a noise abatement order or whatever they call it, as it is an obnoxious noise that shouldn't go on for more than 5 minutes really...
To be honest, it seems pointless having alarms these days, people just ignore them, about the only good they do is the box on the wall acts as a deterrent, whether or not it's functional, our alarm system is dead as a dodo, but the bell box outside is intact and fully on show, and the only houses round here that have been broken into are the ones without bellboxes on the wall, so you may aswell just fit a dummy bellbox with a bit of fake wiring leading up to it... Smiley
But as for the auto-response systems, well, yeah, they're useful in getting the alarm turned off, but, for actually getting the boys in blue out every time it's set off, good luck... Roll eyes

The council wont come out until the day when it doesnt happen.
Community Veteran

My alarm is connected to a monitoring station. The police will come out if there are two triggers (e.g. door contact + PIR sensor) and no one responds to the central station calling.
I know from previous experience, that you have reduced coverage if there are two attended false alarms.
Community Veteran

I wonder if the Police have a responsibility to attend. Is it part of their duties?
Community Veteran

Interesting one - I assume there is some responsibility, but the priority is probably a more an open question. 
Normally, anyone with a remotely monitored alarm will have some kind of keyholder service so that if the alarm does go off and no one responds, then the security company will come to the property very quickly.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Is it part of their duties?

I remember the beat police always checking to see if shop doors were locked at night.
Police "duty" seems to be very vague and extremely flexible.
Community Veteran

When the co-op goes off a security guard shows up but takes them an hour or so.
When I chatted to him he told me the police are supposed to come out but dont attend to any of the shops he has to monitor.
Marksfish
Grafter

Best ban all car alarms that aren't monitored as well then!!
Fixes: 123

I don't see the point of car alarms. People tend to ignore them - even the owners - and there's no benefit for insurance purposes.
I just have an immobiliser.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: chrcoluk

When I chatted to him he told me the police are supposed to come out but dont attend to any of the shops he has to monitor.

Why would you think the Police are 'supposed' to attend? How would the Police know the alarm was ringing? Roll eyes