cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shame adverts are more entertaining than TV programs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

shame adverts are more entertaining than TV programs

oldish advert for Mercedes-Benz that I saw on channel 4.  It is sad that a 50 second advert is more entertaining than most TV programs currently
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: shame adverts are more entertaining than TV programs

I have to agree. I hate wonga and chums but just lately I can't help but laugh at the wonga advert where a bloke and his missus are in bed looking at beds on the laptop.. the ad ends with the bloke getting suggestive to his woman and the old biddy from wonga saying "Thats what got you into this mess in the first place".
I thought it was brilliant.. far more entertaining that most of the junk on TV these days.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

So true.
But I do get fed up when there is a program you enjoy being spoilt by adverts every 7 or 8 minutes.
Years ago in an hour program there were just two add breaks; one around the 20 the next around the 40 minute mark with another before the next programme.
And movies... I'm sure the adverts used to coincide with when there would have been a reel change at the cinema. Nowadays it seems they just stick adverts willy-nilly even breaking up a scene  Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We try and record as much as possible to skip through the adverts. A 1 hour program can be seen in 45 minutes when the ads are skipped.
Those saved 15 minutes add up to a lot in a week.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My current favourite I'm still trying to work out what the product is being advertised.
I starts with a guy applying what is assumed after-shave while looking in the bathroom mirror, the scene changes to his partner walking into an adjacent room and sniffing the air asking "what's that smell" the guy replies "it's the perfume I bought you, you never wear it!" Her expression is priceless...
Ad ends with no product being named.
It could be extremely subtle advertising.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I like this quotation which I saw the other week:
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
So true.
But I do get fed up when there is a program you enjoy being spoilt by adverts every 7 or 8 minutes.
Years ago in an hour program there were just two add breaks; one around the 20 the next around the 40 minute mark with another before the next programme.
And movies... I'm sure the adverts used to coincide with when there would have been a reel change at the cinema. Nowadays it seems they just stick adverts willy-nilly even breaking up a scene  Angry

And the same Ads are repeated even in the same Ad segment IE: right at the beginning and right at the end
Not to mention all the endless repeated Ads for months at a time then all of a sudden they bring back archived Ads that are as equally annoying
They need to have a full set of different Ads per segment per every 2 -3 hours to avoid as many repeats
Some of the Ads  form StupidVille  should not have been broadcast, the Ads showing children in states of undress with their own parent(s) / Guardians permission, just to sell products is plain wrong and sends the wrong message to some dysfunctional people.
My kids mentioned that they should not be allowed, and bith me & SWMBO agrees,
My oldest who wants to study Theatrical arts etc then would like to go into TV / Films said she would never get undressed for the cameras.
Look at the rise of kids being touched countrywide, where they shouldn't & thankfully not as much from adults but from other kids Sad and resulted in the schools sending letters asking us to teach our kids about the underwear rule.
NSPCC The Underwear Rule
Which brings me onto my next point they have made a TV advert for the underwear rule that does not get aired as much as it should Sad
As parents we should all be vigilant and more observant of whats going on with our children
WTF
Grafter

We do seem to be approaching the tip over point where TV is a stream of ads occassional interupted by brief program (=product placement opportunity) breaks
Really have to hope that the (Murdoch backed) Tory nutters don't get their way and finally manage to kill off the Beeb
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I currently have a Youview box, so I've got into the habit of pausing the start of a program for 10mins and then ffwing the adverts...  Usually does the trick Wink