cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scammer attempt

booboo3

scammer attempt

just had a telephone call from a woman with a heavy foreign accent purporting to be calling from the PlusNet technical department, as she did not ask for me by name, I presumed she was a scammer. She said she was calling about my internet connection. I told her she was a scammer and hung up. 

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: scammer attempt

This happens with someone pretending to be from TalkTalk too.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sadly, the few scammers who call me nowadays usually hang up on me. However I normally try to keep them talking as long as possible with dumb questions and wrong answers. If they are offering a valuable service/asset at a low cost I ask them to send me the offer by snail mail, but I do not volunteer my address.

Tips: 

• Don't answer your phone with your name, just say "Hello" or "Hi".
  • If they ask to speak to you by giving your name, just ask who is calling and why.
  • If there are any doubts on your part, hang up immediately.
  • Do not say "Yes" or "No" in response to their question, there have been scams where they record people saying "yes" and treating it as an acceptance.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I had an odd call the other day from an unfamiliar mobile number. Caller asked if Mr Luzern. Replied- he should tell me who he was before isaid who I was, and purpose of call. Claimed to be a call back from enquiry made.

I had made no enquiry and wife on return said same. Weird!

The voice at least was not foreign, but almost as unintelligible to my Home Counties ear-----broad Scots!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13