Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

satnav or gps

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: satnav or gps

Quote from: billnotben
The GPS satnav program on my android phone shows me my location, nearest streets, co-ordinates etc.

@billnotben, does it show postcode?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that came before the conversion, sat navs you might be lucky if it gave you long llat
GPS ie Garmin Etrex might also give you OS
Mobile phone might give you bothh, mine does  so you need a conversion from Long Lat to OS
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Nokia - Symbian Ovi map gives the first 4 post code characters
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

my nokia cheepo payg phone £15 from tesco two years ago,...... makes and receives phone calls... and occasionally a text or two .!  Cheesy
Community Veteran

On the Llangollen Canal at least there were gaps in the coverage for mobile phone signal at the water level. Thankfully there are quite a few canal side pubs along the route where you can stop to "phone for assistance".  Keep a track of the bridge numbers and other features such as golf courses and tie them into a map  that shows the roads crossing the canal, it is generally the easiest way of defining your position.  At maximum 3 mph you'll have plenty of time to note this type of information. You'll be more concerned about the location of water points (taps) and lock gates than the emergency services. Most canal rental companies will provide a comprehensive manual of contact procedures and will always give you a walk-through the boat and its features.
p.s. don't stand on the roof of the boat while passing under bridges if you want to avoid calling for an ambo. Take the mobile phone lead for your car, most boats have 12v cigarette lighter connection as well as 240v, but turn your phone off unless you really really need it - you are supposed to be on holiday - relax.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could make another trip and find out
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
@billnotben, does it show postcode?

Yes you can either enter a postcode to find a place or touch a spot on the screen to be given a postcode.
If you just want longitude and latitude the free android app GPS Test will give you that.
Denzil
Grafter

Postcodes aren't much use on a canal, which rules out most car satnavs. It seems to be overkill to buy a GPS smartphone to do this. I'd go for a simple Garmin eTrex H, plenty available at modest price on our favourite auction site. Even new ones aren't that much if you shop around.
It will give you a location either in lat/long or as an OS grid reference.
alanb
Grafter

For info, you can get your current latitude and longitude from a Tom Tom satnav by looking on the status screen that shows how many satellites you are receiving and the signal strength.
Also on the 'show map' (or may be it is called 'view map') screen, the find button  allows you to home in on the current GPS location and even a lat/long, so you can see what roads or other landmarks are near your current location.
Fixes: 382

I've had a look at Turbodog and Destinator, both have latitude and longitude showing in the GPS Status area.
Turbodog is often found installed on cheaper SatNav units.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Thanks, Denzil....... That is exactly the king of information I was looking for,..... Much Appreciated.  Kiss Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought I said that in answer 3, I have an old one will see if that give OS
the eTtrex modles can be found on www.garmin.co.uk/etrex
pierre_pierre
Grafter

looking at the specs, the eTrex H doesnt have either lat long or OS at £89.99
the eTrex 10 might have at £109.99
the manuals are on that site, now gowing to read theem
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the H looks like the same as my old one, the print below from the manual show it has got lat and long available, then you need my program to convert to OS
Denzil
Grafter

It will give lat/long by default, but there is a setting to change it to OS grid references. There is a copy of the manual here. See page 20 - you just change the datum to the appropriate option.