sat nav problem?

jmd
Grafter

sat nav problem?

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: sat nav problem?

Makes you think who was the wettest..... Her for employing him,    or  him for being so .... wet? ! ! Grin
Javert
Grafter

These sat-nav “problems” make me laugh! 
I firmly believe that many drivers, when they switch the device on, switch their brain off.  Quote from the article: “A driver, stranded after he drove into a river, said his sat-nav system guided him in there.”  No, it didn’t!  He’s just using the sat-nav as an excuse to cover up his own incompetence.  I hope he gets heavily fined, banned from driving for a time, has to pay for the recovery of the vehicle and the repairs.
I would like to say my true opinion of him – but I’d get banned from here!
John
PS: I use a Sat Nav – and wouldn’t want to be without it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Surely this is a genuine case of ................................

"Driving without due care and attention"... Roll eyes
Not sure what the punishment is, but think it might be 3 points or 3 months
N/A

I wonder if the mapping folks have coded some of these routes deliberately.
Various developers get points each time one of their 'special routes' appears in the press...
nadger
Rising Star

The article doesn't indicate what time of day this happened - was it day or night and are there fords in the area?
I'd have thought that the driver will have suffered enough from this incident which certainly doesn't warrant any form of driving punishment - we know nothing of his actual driving record.
It's quite possible he's lost his job and copped a recovery bill + a hefty repair bill etc etc.
He's given us all a laugh for which we should be grateful Grin
Javert
Grafter

. . . and another one from three months ago - this time from across the border in Suffolk:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7193884.stm
John
Javert
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
The article doesn't indicate what time of day this happened - was it day or night and are there fords in the area?

It happened at night - when the rescuers arrived, the headlights were still on and the engine was running.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=561335&in_page_id=1770
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm already on record in this forum, as having said I think Sat-Nav is the great techno-con of the age.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

I've got a self built sat nav ( Virgin phone + bluetooth gps receiver and TomTom Mobile installed on phone) and it was handy today finding a farm, in Oxfordshire, where we had a school reunion - 62 years since we started at grammar school in 1946.
I ran a sameday courier service for 22 years without sat nav but it certainly would have made life easier on a great many occasions.
jmd
Grafter

why,  did you do many River deliveries? Cheesy
N/A

On occasion I've borrowed my MD's sat nav - its really useful, however I couldn't justify buying one myself.
Most places I can manage to navigate to without anything more advanced than a map.
Community Veteran

Sat Nav is a great tool, but it doesn't mean the driver can't be aware of where they are going.
N/A

Sometimes I reckon it can be more stressful driving with Sat-Nav too.
Fine when the roads are quiet and you have plenty of time to react to instructions, but when roads are busier you often find you don't get instuctions far enough in advance to plan manouvres as safely as you'd like.
I generally make sure I have a reasonable idea where I'm going - eg: Isle of Skye; M62 towards Manc, Up M6 towards Lakes. Follow signs to Glasgow, Then signs for Loch Lomond, then signs for Glencoe/Fort William, then head north looking for a left turn towards Kyle of Lochalsh. Once on Skye, pull over and examine map for further steps to get to destination. (Incidentally, thats not the best way to go - much faster to go up the M9 to Stirling, then north via Callander then finally head West, picking up signs for Glencoe then following directions above. Also worth noting that if the ferry is running to Skye, the road West from Fort William across to the ferry is recognised as one of the more stunning in the UK, with whales occassionally seen in Loch Eig which the road runs alongside)
I tend to find that most places I go to can be condensed into a handful of directions, but then I'm lucky that I don't often have to navigate city centres - if I did have to go into a lot of towns/cities, I suspect I might be more inclined to get/use one.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: James_H
Most places I can manage to navigate to without anything more advanced than a map.

When I was charging all over the country I used to print off pages of info from Multimap - I normally had a postcode location for a delivery before leaving home. Later on I also carried an old Thinkpad 600X with a copy of AutoRoute installed - that got me out of trouble on more than one occasion.
To try and build sat nav into a phone I initially bought a copy of TomTom for £10 on eBay - it only covered Benelux countries but I wanted to see if it would actually work. Last summer it got us right to the centre of Brugge, in Belgium, which duely convinced my wife that it wasn't such a mad idea.
I ended up with a multipurpose device that's a phone, 1.3 megapixel camera, TV set (while service lasted), digital radio and sat nav device  now with TomTom UK installed  Cool