cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sandwich lunch

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

sandwich lunch

Which sandwich do you have most for lunch?
Does it have something "special" about it....  e.g.
My favourite is Corned Beef, with sliced red onion, and a good quantitiy of tomato sauce....
I first came across this when I was living in Mauritius... a local friend I had out there, took me to the Sailors Rest in  Port Louis, for a beer and lunch,.... he suggested we have the Corned beef crusty roll.... and I was  hooked....
unfortunately, the kind of crusty rolls they bake out there are worlds away from the crusty rolls we get in the U.K. both in taste and texture... so I have to "make do"... but every time I have one, the memories of sitting on the verandah, with an ice cold beer and a couple of those Corned Beef rolls ( we called them cobs when I was a kid)... relaxing and watching the world go by, with the blue sky and occasional fluffy cloud.... Magic !
Ah well.............................  
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: sandwich lunch

Beef, sliced onions & branston's pickle on a large teacake also known as balm cake in this part of the country.
second best sandwich, cheese & tomato also on a balm cake
Fixes: 125

Ham, cheese and tomato with a little lettuce on multi-grain for me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If it is a cold sandwich, then either a cheese and tomato or banana.  But today as its freezing, a cheese and tomato toastie
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A good wholemeal bread (preferably home made) like shutter corned beef does it for me, with a slice of beef tomato on top and ground black pepper over the tomato.
Oddly I can find the quality of corned beef can vary quite a lot, probably the worst I've found is the budget Tesco in packs like eating a slice of salt, the best I've found is sold by my local butcher who will slice it fresh with the machine set on 4 (about just over 1/8th inch)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Razorback
Grafter

Quote from: shutter

My favourite is Corned Beef, with sliced red onion, and a good quantitiy of tomato sauce....

I take it that is not the american type of corned beef which I loathe especially with pickle. My favourite is "british" (okay argentinian) corned beef with plenty of salad cream.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Pastrami with camenbert on a Warm Rye roll - sometimes with creamed horseradish sauce
Community Veteran

Cheese and pickle on multi-seed bread, although I don't eat it much at present as I'm on a diet. Salmon or tuna is a good substitute though Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Razorback.... yup!... argentinian... prsumably..... as the pack states.... "produced in South America"  (packed in the uk) ( from Morrisons ).. 4 slice pack !...
Community Veteran

If we're talking sandwiches.
Grated cheese and beetroot in crusty bread.