cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sad death of an old Computer magazine

pierre_pierre
Grafter

sad death of an old Computer magazine

just had a Letter from the publishers of Personal Computer World to say that it has ceased publishing as from the Aug 09 edition (Out now) the reason given are unprecedented adverse economics and declining adverts
it first published in May 1978 - 31 years Lips are sealed Embarrassed Cry
11 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: sad death of an old Computer magazine

just found this dated June 8th so its old news well hidden http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jun/08/pcw-magazine-closing
Fixes: 47

Only if you read newspapers Smiley
Sad news Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

whats a newspaper?
Fixes: 104

something you eat your chips out of
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Sad news indeed - I had it on subscription in the early years - and learnt a lot from it.
A lot of the magazines that have followed it are just comics by comparison.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: adiewoo
something you eat your chips out of

Not any more - elf & safety, you know Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Sad to see an old magazine go.
I wasn't a PC person until around 1995. I grew up with the C64 and Amiga before then, but I needed one for then for my studies Smiley
So I recognise the name, but I don't remember reading it that much.
Magazines are now about pages full of adverts, DVD's full of trial software and some full versions old software (which they are paid for), and reviews which give favourable scores to whatever company has the highest stake in their advertising who they don't want to upset. Of course hype makes no difference whatsoever.
Despite them getting paid for advertising space, you are then privileged to spend £6 for a Mag and DVD full of stuff they get paid to make/contrive.
The little unbiased content, or the occasional free/demo stuff may as well be downloaded from the internet when you need it.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I had the same letter - it's a shame they waited over a month to let us poor subscribers know.
I have to say I'm none to happy with the switch of my subscription to Computeractive, which although it's published by them, the content is not at the same level as that in Personal Computer World - it's a fortnightly comic by comparison.
I've asked to finish my subscription as I personally don't see Computeractive as a suitable replacement for PCW. I read it off and on in the early years alternating between PCW and Practical Computing, but now after 15 years continuous reading of the magazine, the last ten or so as a subscriber, I have to go off and find myself something that will replace it.
Any suggestions?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Phil_E
I have to go off and find myself something that will replace it.
Any suggestions?

PCPro  is quite good.  I've also requested a cancellation of my subscription to PCW.
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see where some of the long standing journalists / contributors end up ?. Some may sadly retire.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Quote from: MauriceC

PCPro  is quite good.  I've also requested a cancellation of my subscription to PCW.

I did used to read that one in the past, but PCW just edged it out IMO. I think I'll pick it up again this weekend, give it another whirl.