Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rsi prob

firefly2
Grafter

rsi prob

Hi all,
bit of advice needed please from anyone who has had an operation for rsi.
internet is not helpful [ no uk org since 2004 typical ] have seen dutch site but it seems to run ring -a- ring -a- roses around their topics.
would like to know if able to use fingers,  soooon.
also was it succesful.
i have had cortisone injections [ just had one  ouch-ouch ] that aren't now doing the trick. they do get rid of the pain waking me up at night tho'. doctor said that he expects better things from the  one last week. suggested the op but  having a hand out of action would be something else
i did not get this  with computer job. think that it stemmed from when i fell over and broke a knuckle.
thanks in anticipation.  Undecided
27 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: rsi prob

hello not sure what you googled, but this lot seem ok
RSI
firefly2
Grafter

hi pierre. i don't know either . think i put in rsi-op.
your site seems very good and plenty to explore.
looked at site of the clincs in Brighton and London but as i live on the fylde coast that will be a no-no. they seemed very good too.
will have to see how i go on before putting myself out of action. thanks for that . better site than mine. very grateful.
says to rest . fat chance. am off in the garden now . Huh
Community Veteran

If this is being caused by the mouse actions it is an idea to keep the arm and wrist as level as possible on a flat surface and also use a wrist strap.
firefly2
Grafter

thanks artmo.
i do have arm and wrist flat on the desk and wear a elastic sport -support.
have the support from the hospital when originally broke the knuckle but that seems to have wood up the middle. cannot use the mouse with it on.
on reflection i did type years ago as a telegraphist at the gpo but do not think after all of this time that it would show up now.
will have to see how things go.
just wondered if anyone had  had the op.  nothing like info from the horses mouth so to speak.. thanks  Undecided
Community Veteran

I wonder if its RSi or arthritis which shows up as the same thing really and symptons/fix is the same. The steriods injection you had cantack a while to act and you may have had local in with it to stop the pain. What tablets are you on diclofenics? 
It could be any tablets you take making it worse. I had a similar problem this year but it effected my elbow shoulder which like you I couldnt move and was painful. They gave me diclofenics and things went from bad to worse my joints swelled up so they gave me stronger tablets and then they found I was anemic. I did some research on the net.
I went back to the doctor and asked why my joints swelled etc and she admitted its was a side effect of the tablets. I stop taking them and within a couple of weeks I was fine I just took an odd couple of ibuprofen every now and then when I was in pain. The other main things is drop any support that weakens the muscles and makes it worse as one of the main problems is muscle wastage as you cant use them.
Do as much exercise of the joints as you can  especially stretching as this makes all the difference. Us warm pads and ice packs as often as you can.
A lot of it is the joint forms a scab and this is why its painful and you cant use it as the scab stops the movements one of the only ways to cure it sometimes is to force the joint to move which breaks the scab off  they do it when you are asleep takes 2 mins
firefly2
Grafter

hi samuria.. actually no-one has said exactly what i have but the pain started after i fell and the doctor at the hospital gave me the first.injection.  lasted ages.. boy do they hurt.. needles in for ages into a nerve and the pain shoots everywhere. [ no they don't numb it ]
i do have arthritis tho'. it moves about..  have a lot in my back . think from lifting my husband. he was in a wheelchair for 16 years and just had use of lower right arm... have very little at the mo. take 25mg atenolol then purchase glucosomine and omega 3.
my doctor does acupuncture and have had at times too .. have you tried that . ? i have not lost use of my wrist.. just numbness in the fingers and pain with it if that makes senseand up the arm
what you have had must have been very painful..
thank you for contacting me will see how i go on now. think the doctor is expecting miracles.
window cleaner is here so bye for now and thankyou. Smiley
Community Veteran

Have you been investigated for possible carpal tunnel?
Community Veteran

You say your hand goes numb do the fingers go white and does it come on say when caring a shopping bag or when your hands get cold? If this sounds like you it could be Raynauds the wife has it see

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/numb-fingers/AN01323
Community Veteran

I think if I were you I'd be insisting on a referral to a hospital consultant.
firefly2
Grafter

@ samuria .
thank you for that site but don't think it is raynards as the fingers don't go white. have poor circulation so the optician says.
a lot of things aggravate the hand really. the hand hurts if i hold a newspaper up to read and just got little feeling when holding anything. the pain there tho'. can't cut hard things like carrots etc.
@ artmo the doctor did suggest i would need  investigation of    the nerve if the injection didn't last.. it might be carpal tunnel on looking at it. there seems to be so many things that could cause the problem. 
thank you both for bothering.
keeping my fingers crossed. am on the move a lot.  and a young dog seems to think that i was put on this earth just for him...
wouldn't mind being thirty again Roll eyes
Community Veteran

The problem with a lot of these things is there is no conclusive answer I had 2 doctors and a Consultant on my shoulder and none of them could say its arthritis or frozen shoulder all the do is try anti inflammatory tablets and injections which made me ten times worse. I ended up that I couldnt walk due to painful knees and my legs swelled up and I was anemic all which turned out to be down to the tablets to cure my shoulder.
As a general rule you need to exercise as much as you can even if it hurts loose weight if you are overweight, try ice and heat pads regularly, plenty of fluid and eat loads of veg fruit etc. Mine is ok now its gone away but tends to come back with wet weather may last a month then be ok again for 6-9 months   
firefly2
Grafter

GM samuria,
glad that you are currently free of pain. you do seem to have it rough and the  trouble is you keep expecting it back. you appear to have more pain than i...

yes weight okay thanks steady 9.2/4. .. and diet okay . and have house ,, garden and a dog to keep me on the move..
hope that your wife does not have too much trouble with the raynards.
i don't think that i will get rid of the funny feeling in three of the fingers and the thumb. just hope that this last inj lasts re the actual pain.
lovely morning . am off out with the dog  for one of his walks then he is going to have a bath [he runs off when he sees my plastic apron] Smiley
N/A

There is an article in the Express today about RSI. If you would like to read it and don't have a copy please PM with e-mail address and will scan and send.
Community Veteran

Another possible line of action is to get referred to a Pain Management consultant.  Not all hospitals have them but they have a very in depth knowledge of all pain related things and the cures as well.