cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

road tax

firefly2
Grafter

road tax

does any-one know what is going on re the £400  tax and who is going to be liable. is it on or off?? i keep hearing the ends of debates on it and am starting to get worried now.  have asked the family and they haven't a clue. thanks.... Huh
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: road tax

It's going ahead/gone ahead ages ago as planned/already implemented.
BUT it's not £400, it varies according to CO2 output and age of vehicle.
What on earth have you been reading - not the Daily Mail I trust?
firefly2
Grafter

thought that it was the engine size.. what about the exhaust Huh Undecided.
have the mail on sat only>> with the express. like to have two versions when i can get chance to read them. get them for the progs for week booklets. i still don't know where i stand with my car tho'..... 
Community Veteran

Have a look at this page that gives you more information on the different bands of license and costs involved.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

To continue on Spiders link...... if you go to
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

and scroll down, you will see
#
Buying a brand new car

check CO2 emissions and vehicle tax calculator
(click this line)
you can then check your current car to see what the roadtax is .....    (nifty ! ) Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

To continue on Spiders link...... if you go to
http://www.direct.gov.uk/...axYourVehicle/DG_10012524

and scroll down, you will see

Thought that was spiders link  Cheesy Cheesy Angry Sad Cheesy Cheesy
firefly2
Grafter

thanks every-one for help. found what i wanted from Spiders " this page". have 1834 engine  so will be the same hopefully.  paid £185 last time . thanks again  Smiley
loads of  help to get info on the other sites too. didn't know that there was so much out there.
Community Veteran

That's probably gone up to £190 or a bit more. Sounds like the standard rate for "older" cars that were pre-banding.
firefly2
Grafter

thanks for that HPsauce.  emphasis on the last five letters . runs very well...no rust. just like me really. only had battery change sooo why changeHuh it's nice and high up too. bought when easy to get wheelchair and husband in.  and me... am glad that will not be paying high price road tax. Smiley
Community Veteran

Yes, I've got two S-reg (199Cool cars that pay exactly the same road tax (£180 last time) even though one is a 1800cc and the other over 4 litres!
My son has an even older Fiesta which is much less, I think the break point is under/over 1400cc.
And if it's over 25 years old I think you pay nothing.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it was but it only now applies to those that are already free, ie was 25 then 26 then 27 etc.
firefly2
Grafter

not quite reached that old for nil. it is a 96 mitsubishi space runner. they don't make that model now. remember it was quite expensive at the time. think that i would miss the acceleration on a lower cc. the "which" report said the other day that japanese cars were the most reliable.
always had a honda before but no model was forth-coming then. the gears are better on a honda. 
oh help... just had an air ambulance go overhead so low. spose it is going to Blackpool vic. some trouble for someone.
beautiful day. am off to walk the dog before my grand-daughter arrives. Smiley bye all
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I'm over 25, I wish I didn't have to pay ANY tax Cry
jmd
Grafter

That is a good idea - like the cars - older you are, then your tax reduces..................... Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

The 25 year tax exempt thing was frozen when Labour came into power. It is now a fixed cut off date, so if your vehicle was constructed (not necessarily registered) before 1st January 1973 you don't pay anything, although you still have to get a tax disc in the usual way. They just mark the tax disc "Historic Vehicle" at a duty of nil.
I drive an old Land Rover that was made in 1971. Cheesy