cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'retro' sweets making a come back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

'retro' sweets making a come back.

There is this article on the BC new site asking why retro sweets have made a come back. As I see it the Internet is responsible, as more and more people go online they might be searching for items from their childhood and when they see that they can actually buy these items, they do. This information then get passed on and grows and we see the aforementioned article as a result.

7 REPLIES 7
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: 'retro' sweets making a come back.

It's probably because they were just better, and bigger too, stuff these days is touted to be new and improved, except it's smaller and made with something that is akin to a bit of limp seaweed... Crazy2

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I love the "retro" sweets and often buy versions from some shops.

Trouble is the "retro" sweets don't have "retro" prices.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Anonymous If the BBC has just picked up on it its because the reporter has just stepped out of the office into the real world. Cheesy

They've been there all the time, sadly as previously mentioned, getting pricier and smaller by the day. Me? I'm addicted to rhubarb and custard and sherbet lemon sweets. I see they have brought out some R&C biscuits but they are pretty foul! Maybe they have been in long term storage somewhere.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

There is a retro sweet shop in Cardigan not far from us but as @billnotben pointed out, they don't have retro prices. They are however sold loose, which harks back to the time when sweets were dished out from large jars rather than bought packaged and very much like my late father in law sold them in his cafe years back - in fact when the shop closed the Rowntree jars he dished them out from by the quarter, got passed down to each of his children. My Mrs has four of them which she uses to keep flour, oats, and what have you in.

I can still see them now, one long row of different colours, shapes and flavours and if memory serves, lemon drops were the top seller from that top shelf behind the cafe counter. Interesting and nice memories to have of how things once were, and I suppose the jars themselves must date back to the 1930s or even earlier.

jars.JPG

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

We've got this shop not a million miles away. Lots of old favs. Amazon do a fair number of retros in larger jars. Unfortunately I'm suppose to lay off the sweeter things in life........... There are limits Doc!

That said, I treat myself to a bar of fruit and nut every week. Not much point being around if you can't indulge!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Most decent sized towns will have a retro sweet shop, maybe just these days some people only buy off internet and never actually go out shopping, just like some people will order food from a place less than a mile away using deliveroo or just eat etc. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Ahh that reminds me .. my mum dosen't mind a Polo or three.

Only problem is when we went to Florida, is you can't get them. Not as if it as easy a buying a Coke.

They did a product called Lifesavers, looked like Polo's but were awful.

A few weeks back, as a bit of a joke. I noticed at my local supermarket they still do them. So I bought a packet for my my mum as a surprise and said "Well I always knew you liked Polos" Cheesy

She initially went "Oh No", but you know what .. a few days passed and she eat them.

So might have to get some more later today, another thing they still do is "Fish and Chips". Liked them when I was much younger and still do now.

Sorry don't tell me off, not advertising Tongue