cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"interesting" customer services

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

"interesting" customer services

I've been with BT for over 15 years for land and, with PlusNet for broadband since it was offered and before that for internet services.
For a while I have looked at changing from BT to a broadband/landline account package from PlusNet.
It happens that PlusNet cold called the other day and changing to PlusNet for landline was discussed and agreed. So the cold call was timely and welcome.
This morning I received a call from BT with a "sorry you're leaving us call" with another number to call to review any outstanding charges payable.
I called the number and got through to an agent who can best be described aggressive and rude, I was verbally attacked about my decision to move away from BT, wanting to know why I didn't give BT the chance to respond (which had it come from a more reasonable agent is a fair point)
It was pointed out forcibly the short comings of PlusNet service and to expect as it can't be guaranteed a future problem with the retention of my landline number.
If ever I needed confirmation that it was a good idea to move from BT this twerp made up my mind. I suspect other would-be less-resilient "migrators" may well be brow-beaten into changing their minds by this mindless "customer services"
Any other members who have moved from other providers had similar experiences?  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: "interesting" customer services

Did you get the agent's name? I'd still make a complaint even without it.
The TalkTalk agents could be quite abrupt but I don't recall them being blatantly rude and/or aggressive.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

NTL / Virgin media, back when they were changing name were unbelievably rude after they cut off my line in error and then tried to overcharge me after saying I could not change my package but then, after I'd left them they phoned and offered exactly what I'd been refused while still a customer.
After that treatment I took the liberty of being extremely rude to them and telling them exactly what I thought of their so-called 'service'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Plenty of dealings with BT over the years, needless to say i am not a big fan of their corporate attitude towards their customers.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Petlew, I hope someone at plusnet will take up your complaint with BT. It's a bad reflection on them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Plusnet are part of the BT group, as artmo says this is a bad reflection on Plusnet.
I can understand BT and PN being separate entities but any competition should be friendly and encouraged.
If a customer is unhappy about BT  and adamant about leaving surely the BT CSR sould recommend PN.
(find myself in the same situation as Petlew was, fixed line with BT, b/b with PN - awaiting the cold call with trepidation)
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
fixed line with BT, b/b with PN

Same here.
Seems to be the best combination.
Community Veteran

I have my line with BT and BB with PN. My calls, however, are with a company that is effectively now TalkTalk. I only use the landline for premium and freephone calls because they are cheaper. Calls abroad are also cheaper Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: journeys
Plusnet are part of the BT group, as artmo says this is a bad reflection on Plusnet.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not sure how this is a bad reflection on PlusNet, on BT yes. Did artmo actually say that?
I've had nothing but help and candid assistance from PlusNet with this change and thus far I'm pleased to have made the change.
The only bone to chew is over the remote possibility of having to change my landline number, which was one of the BT guy's major points, I am however led to believe that hen's teeth are more common than my chances of having to do this. What the BT guy failed to mention is that my number is no safer with them than it is with anybody else.
What I didn't tell the BT fool is that I'm not that bothered about the number as he thinks I ought to be. Given the very low number of calls that go via the landlind it wouldn't bother me that much to have to change it and PlusNet have a more than adequate transfer service. I'm quite capable of letting the small number of people who call on the landline (mostly doctors and community nurses all family use the mobile or Skype) of a change, a nuisance yes, but not the end of the world.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

The only bone to chew is over the remote possibility of having to change my landline number,
I thought they couldn't refuse to transfer your number these days!. As long as PN are willing to transfer it ( which they are ) then BT can't refuse.
Extract from the OFCOM site http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/switching_provider
So if you’re staying at the same address and your number is active, your current provider must allow it to be transferred to a new phone company.
Community Veteran

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but I wonder if some of these retention staff are on a bonus structure linked to the number of people they can retain?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
on BT yes. Did artmo actually say that?

Quote from: artmo
@Petlew, I hope someone at plusnet will take up your complaint with BT. It's a bad reflection on them.

em, re-reading artmo's quote maybe I read it the wrong way, - My interpretation - "As they are basically the same organisation, actions by the BT CSR reflect on both organisations"
@AndyH, think your right, must be a deviously worded contract   Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I assume most phone calls with major companies are recorded so if a complaint was made it could be checked out.
Sadly a number of the Larger companies seem to employ some staff who have an attitude problem and random checks by senior staff  on random phone calls are clearly not being done.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not sure how this is a bad reflection on PlusNet, on BT yes. Did artmo actually say that?

@Petlew, sorry it's just the way I put it. My criticism was directed at BT not PN.
Community Veteran

AA wonders if PN CS rejects are sent to train BT CS?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.