cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"equal second" or Third or fourth......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"equal second" or Third or fourth......

Was at a friends house this afternoon, and he was watching the golf from Madrid.  the scoreboard kept on flashing up on the screen, but I have no idea what it meant....
BUT.... I pondered on this question, and wonder if any one else thinks it a bit weird. !
Normally, scoreboards show the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th etc etc. according to the number of points scored, or times or whatever criteria ...
IF two people/teams get the same numbers, then they are considerred "equal".... and you can get "equal 1st"  "equal 2nd,. etc... OK so far....
so lets assume the following scoreboard is shown...
1 joe blogs  100 points
joe togs  98 points
jeff blogs 98 points
harry not so good 95 points....
jim smith 95 points
henri useless 93 points
All seems to be ok, until you realise that there is NO 3rd place. and NO 5th place on the board....
yet surely if joe togs and jeff blogs are "equal" ............then Harry not so good and jim smith (who are also equal on their score) are "equal 3rd" and not "equal 4th, .....
this would then make henri useless in 4th  place  and not 6th      Undecided 

12 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: "equal second" or Third or fourth......

It's fine the way it is. If there are three people with better scores than harry not so good and  jim smith then they are in fourth place.
Community Veteran

Not if those same three happen to be "equal first", then they  (harry & jim ) would be "equal second" .....  Huh
Community Veteran

And that would make henri useless, third ...... Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

its not about where you fhinsh but the taking part that counts  Tongue
Community Veteran

Tell that to the second place driver in the F1 world championships....  Shocked
Community Veteran

Absolutely - as the wise Linus once said "It's not whether you win or lose, it's where you place the blame!"  Crazy
John
David_W
Rising Star

He would be in 4th place because there are 3 people with a higher score than him?  Joint 2nd is also joint 3rd place at the same time?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In your example if there were 100 people in total with more tied places along the way with at the bottom
Jameseh 25
Mand 24
Chris 24
Bob 20 (well he wouldn't score so many as he keeps going off to make tea for everyone)
shutter 5
Your position would be something like 60th out 100 - obviously absolute nonsense! Jumping the places for the ties means you are where you should be 100th out of 100.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I `m not bottom, cos jelv did not score on that sheet !.  Grin Grin Grin
the point is, that in the normal course of events  the scoreboard is 1,2,3,4,5 etc etc.... but if you have "equal" any position, then the next position is the next number... (otherwise one of the "equal" positions is "less than equal" in that position, thus rendering the next in line to be the lower position on the scoreboard
1st .....
2nd.....
equal second ( only not really, but almost equal)  Cry
3rd......HuhHuh?  you cannot be 4th  as the two above are "EQUAL" in score  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Must be a bad weekend for you Gery, can you name any sport that has the type of place usage that you are suggesting?  I can think of a lot that use the one that the rest of use are using  Crazy
Community Veteran

@ Pierre,
No I cannot name any sport, or any other competition that subscribes to my way of thinking.....  hence the original question
Quote from: shutter
Was at a friends house this afternoon, and he was watching the golf from Madrid.  the scoreboard kept on flashing up on the screen, but I have no idea what it meant....
BUT.... I pondered on this question, and wonder if any one else thinks it a bit weird. !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well I'm going to support shutter in this. There must be other ways to seperate "equal" scores, by virtue that in the golf analogy the two equal rounds must have had some differences that made one player seem better than the other one, greater number of par's against a lower number of mixed over and under-par's that produce the same end result, but one player has played a technically better round but ended up with the same score as an inferior player.
If you see what I mean...
Petlew retires to his space under a rock.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.