cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"breaking in" a new pair of shoes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

"breaking in" a new pair of shoes

I have a pair of shoes that I have had for several years unworn - reason the heels rub my heel and cause blisters.  Tongue
So does anybody know of a method of "breaking in" the rascals? They are a nice pair of shoes apart from this problem  Cry
They are leather uppers if that makes any difference.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: "breaking in" a new pair of shoes

Yes, I have.... what I do is to crush the heel of the shoe, by pressing the heel of my hand down on the top edge of the shoe heel, (where your foot goes in)... then using a folding movement, using both hands I "ruffle" the top edge, all around the ankle area,  as if washing a small item, e.g. handkerchief, that has a stain on it....
this softens the leather, and makes it more wearable, and more bearable.....
for the "toe end... I usually bend them in half at the crease where the toes bend the shoe.. do this a couple of times, and then try wearing them... sometimes it helps if you wear two pair of socks, or a thick "welly" type sock.... then walk around the house in circles, reversing the circle direction after a couple of times...
Fixes: 125

I've circumvented this problem by applying a couple of large plasters over the heel area each time I wear them for the first 10 or so times.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We're very fortunate here, we have an old fashioned cobbler in Hemel Hempstead. Who will stretch heel's and bunion area's. Only trouble is he's about ninety with no one obvious in sight to take over the business.
Check your yellow pages HB and see if there's one such near you.
One very old trick was to stuff the shoes tight with wet newspaper for a few hours before putting them on for some test walks.
SWMBO has a screw operated shoe stretching device that she had before we were married, but its to small for my shoes, maybe you can still buy them.
Actually you can:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/shoe%20stretcher/products
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Soak them and wear them dry, that is what i do for anything with a stiff ankle.  The dry fitting better and less likely to rub
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I have had for several years unworn

I've started to wonder if shoes should have a "wear by date" on them. I always wear sandals around my house. My current pair was well warn out after several years but I thought no matter as I have a couple of other barely used pairs in the cupboard. Both reasonably good quality with leather uppers.
Tried on the first pair and they fell apart after a few days, stitching and glue on the uppers giving out. Tried on the second and they virtually disintegrated in a day just leaving the leather uppers.
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions will give them a try, my current pair are getting a bit low on tread, and it is just not economical to re-sole them (£60 when I asked they only cost me £20!).
As to expiry date I think if they are of reasonable quality then there should be no problems, but something from Timpsons etc, is only good for 6 months anyway.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
they only cost me £20!).

For "cheap" every day use, without too much consideration for being stylish M&S men's shoes are hard to beat, they have wide fittings too. Never had a heel rub problem with them.
For work I've been wearing a pair of M&S bog-standard (wide fit) slip-on's practically every day for the last two and a half years, looks are not important stuck under the dashboard of a coach, I don't recall ever having polished them, a damp cloth seems to get them reasonably clean when its necessary, the right sole (throttle) is completely smooth, with very little tread left on the left shoe. I wouldn't part with them for driving.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mink oil does a good job of softening if your shoes are leather. Waterproofs too, but can darken some leathers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
St3
All Star

dont mention shoesssssss im sick of them !!!
The missus has loads and is always shopping for new ones ?
4 year ago she bought a pair of these boots http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caterpillar-Womens-Colorado-Leather-Walking/dp/B008S6UGS4/ref=sr_1_15?s=shoe... from amazon too.. i think they cost her £90
She has never worn them and when i asked about the, she said she no longer likes to wear those kind .... arghhh they sit in the cupboard un used.
Im actully thinking about taking them to the heart foundation, so some good will come of them.
unless theres any women on here with size 5 feet Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

My mrs has size 5 feet  Grin A lot smaller than my size 10's  Grin Shocked
St3
All Star

sold!
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If all else fails another option might be to try a pair of sock liners which any decent outdoor clothing shop should stock.
These liners are very thin and your ordinary sock then goes over them, the idea being to prevent blisters.