cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We're Doomed, I tell you; doomed"

Fixes: 125

"We're Doomed, I tell you; doomed"

Dad's Army to be revived in film
Dad's Army, the classic BBC television comedy series about the bumbling members of a Home Guard unit during the Second World War, is to be revived as a feature film.
Sergeant Wilson will be played by Bill Nighy, best known for his roles in Love Actually and Pirates Of The Caribbean.

I really don't think they should tamper with such a classic. Although Bill Nighy is an excellent actor Clive Dunn IS Corporal Jones and Arthur Lowe IS Captain Mainwaring.
Also, making it for today's audience will probable be very PC and lose the real flavour of the original.
I never thought the 1971 film did justice to the TV series although it wasn't as bad as some of the films that spawn from other series.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: "We're Doomed, I tell you; doomed"

I think it will be a mockery
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it will be really good for the youngsters who haven't yet had the joys of watching the "old stuff" but like most remakes it'll probably get the prongs from most people that saw the original as you cant help but compare 1 with the other.....
its like the recent spate of remakes for Hollywood blockbusters and 70's tv series, there fantastic but nothing like each other and in all reality shouldn't of shared the exact same name .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Can't say I look forward to watching this at all.
How can you improve the already perfect?
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I wonder which "stupid boy" or girl came up with this idea. How can they revive something that never seems to have been off of our TV screens?
I wasn't even keen on the original film featuring the original cast (except strangely Mrs Pike).
I wonder if someone will be writing some original scripts featuring the characters or will it be a rehash of TV episodes.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: alanf
I wasn't even keen on the original film featuring the original cast (except strangely Mrs Pike).

Very strange as Liz Frazer replaced Janet Davies for the movie whereas, as far as I remember, the rest of the TV cast were in it.
I remember seeing the film at the cinema and wasn't that impressed. There were quite a few changes and it just didn't seem to work as well as for TV.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They are also doing a remake of Poldark.
Be almost impossible to match the original
Community Veteran

Leave well alone IMO Wink 
Community Veteran

i'm quite looking forward to a new interpretation.  i've enjoyed several hamlets, macbeths, and remakes of films, some good some bad.  be interesting to see how they deal with it.
gtowen
Rising Star

I think the problem with remakes is they only remake the successful shows / films and try to capitalize on previous successes.
With the number of B to Z movies out there why don't they remake one of them........... sometimes a movie only fails cos the actors are wrong for the part or the writing is bad.
I'd love to see the entertainment industry correct their mistakes rather than make us pay to watch more crap. In any other industry they would be out of business for all their mistakes.
As to this remake, it may gain a new audience but I will always remember the original Smiley
Community Veteran

Leave it alone!
Community Veteran

Quote from: gtowen

With the number of B to Z movies out there why don't they remake one of them........... sometimes a movie only fails cos the actors are wrong for the part or the writing is bad.

In as word - Funding. Funding for movies is hard to get especially for an independent company and financiers only like investing in sure-fire hits, or at least ones that look sure-fire on paper.
gtowen
Rising Star

@ artmo ........ Funding I can understand, but lets be honest, every film takes a chance, whether it is done by the majors or the independents. There are no sure-fire winners.
All I'm saying is there's a load of scripts /failed movies that could be successes with the right funding/writing/actors, so why do they feel the need to destroy/enhance peoples memories of things done in the past.
One example..... I have enjoyed the Hannibal Lecter movies and in the last few days I rewatched all of them. Now I enjoyed all the movies but have to say the original "Manhunter" outranks the remake "Red Dragon" by a long shot. I felt William Petersen did a much better job than Edward Norton in the role of Will Graham. But what really annoyed me was the remake was an almost word for word copy of the original and was a total fail. The only reason to make the remake was to have a complete set of films based on the books, with Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.
Unfortunately the rest of the cast in the remake were not upto the task Sad
Any way that's my opinion Smiley
Fixes: 47

It's a classic which will only be spoiled with a modern remake.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro

See cartoon bottom right of the front page of The Times.
https://plus.google.com/+TheTimes/posts