cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"UNLIMITED" BB the BT way!!!!

suesykes
Grafter

"UNLIMITED" BB the BT way!!!!

A friend of mine is currently paying over £30 per month to BT for unlimited broadband. 
He had a speed drop and decided to contact BT to see what the problem was......
He hit 70gb on his downloads, so they have now cut him down to a 512k connection from his usual 8mb. 
So unlimited isnt really what it says... It means unlimited until they decide otherwise.
9 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: "UNLIMITED" BB the BT way!!!!

This basically adds to our argument that there is no such thing as unlimited.  The only unlimited that you will really see would be "Unlimited*".
ISPs can't merely keep throwing massive amounts at centralsied capacity.  They need to make money or sellup.  Metronet was a prime example of this back in November 2005.  We like to think that we offer a realistic service where we are insanely clear about what you get with your service.  We've removed our Fair Usage Policy for the clear usage guidelines that we supply.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If the ASA had any balls, which like most government regulators don't, then in my opinion the word 'unlimited' to describe something which has any kind of limit should not be allowed.
It's been happening with broadband for some time, they say Unlimited* and the small print actually says what the limit is. Not just broadband, look at mobile phone companies when they offer something which is 'unlimited' and it's always subject to a fair usage policy.
It's understandable in a sense, no company can truely offer unlimited anything, since anyone who batters it will break their business model so it becomes unprofitable. I have no problem with them having fair use policies designed to protect themselves.
What I don't like is them describing something using a term which it clearly isn't.
Tyreal74
Grafter

i like the polices plusnet have with their 'unlimited' usuage, 20gb a month peak and unmetered after peak, thats not foar off unlimited imo hehe
i dotn have a problem with it, companies shouldnt offer unlimited if they cannot provide it its black and white in that sense.
and the unlimited is in commas as i know its not unlimited Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I think we're going to get a PlusNet reply saying they have not advertised their products as 'unlimited' for x number of years Smiley
Sorry, I just know you have to keep saying it, that's all Grin
mcgurka
Grafter

yeah, plusnets policies are good!
Although I feel the same about PN's reply.. I can feel it comming on
James
Grafter

I'm not saying anything.
mcgurka
Grafter

Well, Plusnet are great anyway, so there  Grin
suesykes
Grafter

Yes...At PN we all know how much we can use and when we can use it.
I for one, as the PN staff here might know, would be on the phone complaining and arguing the unlimited point.  Surely if one of these cases ended in court it could be bad for any "unlimited" service.
I wouldnt class 70gb a month as a huge amount with the software that pc's use now...  even the small programs are in the 100s of mb. 
If PN didnt have its 12 - 8 free time I would be on restricted after the first few days.  Thats including all my connection hassles.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: littlerick
  Surely if one of these cases ended in court it could be bad for any "unlimited" service.

Over in California Comcast are being sued for alegedly blocking Bit Torent. The situation is a bit different over there in that Comcast are accused of generating fake 'stop' packets to control the data flow.
However, the issue is around the meaning of "unfettered access" and "promoting and advertising the fast speeds that apply to the Service without limitation".
See here:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/11/comcast-sued-ov.html
It will be interesting to see if customers over here wake up to the realities and start demanding that contracts mean what they say.
I've started to hear gripes from collegues and friends about ISP's not being open about traffic shaping.... I just say  "come to Plusnet".
Maybe it not a problem at all and that the time is ripe for us to start earning referals?