"The Starship Enterprise would be cheaper to insure"

shalom2010
Grafter

"The Starship Enterprise would be cheaper to insure"

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: "The Starship Enterprise would be cheaper to insure"

I had a quote once for £4.4k and I thought that was bad but £33k is just taking the mick!
We can't live with cars but we can't live without them it seems.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

Well I think this lady will have her's in the garage/road for a little while!
Community Veteran

Doesn't seem right. As a newly qualified driver she couldn't have picked a much more sensible car.
With stories like this police and government can hardly be surprised at the (probably) rising number of uninsured young drivers.
Used to be that your insurance was always miles cheaper than the price of your car.
If I remember right as a newly qualified driver the insurance on my £60 car was twenty something for third party. And I thought that was expensive.
Community Veteran

One thing is for sure, it can't carry on like this. Soon you'll need the equivalent of a mortgage just to afford one years insurance. It's utter madness.
We should do what they do in some european countries - insure the actual car itself not the person. Granted that has the undesired effect of giving risky drivers cheaper insurance but out there it works and over here it doesn't because it's penalising new drivers who have done nothing wrong!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

With a premium of 20,000 and a excess of £200 on a £400 car.... makes you think....
however.... LV are saying they will give 75% discount in their advertising on tv.... perhaps she should ring them up and save herself £5,000 ..... bet they won`t do it though....  Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
LV are saying they will give 75% discount in their advertising on tv.... perhaps she should ring them up and save herself £5,000 ..... bet they won`t do it though....  Cry

On £20k 75% discount would be £15k saved Wink
Community Veteran

She needs to stop using that laptop while driving - that's her problem !
On a serious note though, most insurance companies will give a stupid quote if they don't want to take the risk of insuring a customer.
My last insurance premium ranged from £170 to over £5000 - obviously the higher end quotes weren't interested in my business.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

looking at the quotes - I wonder if a large part of the problem was putting the voluntary excess as zero
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Reminds me of when I started biking, 17 and my £200 bike was £350 to insure  Crazy This was in the country, and 30+ years ago. In the end that was what made me move to cars, but I had to piggy back on my dads insurance till I could afford to get my own.
shalom2010
Grafter

I think main issue here is the amount of false claims, all of us are being hammered. (However the age of the person driving does automatically increase the risk and insurance substantially.)
Fixes: 47

I wonder if this might be anything to do with the new ruling that insurance companies are not allowed to discriminate on grounds of gender.
E.G Young female drivers used to get substantially cheaper quotes than young male drivers.
So young female premiums are jacked up to young male levels.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
shalom2010
Grafter

"So young female premiums are jacked up to young male levels" - well it's still a very high amount to pay for a 'cheap' car!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Its not the car s/he insures its the car they MAY hit.
Fixes: 121

You would have thought the fairer thing to do would be to reduce male insurance while increasing female to a point where the insurance companies would be no better or worse off. It seems that they just profiteered Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still