cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Smart" meters!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: "Smart" meters!

This is money website has an article from 2015 called the great smart meter rip-off. Thought customers were going to save  £££ having one installed? after they have paid for the ( free ) meter that is  Roll_eyes

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3322658/The-great-smart-meter-rip-UK-energy-giants-...
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Fixes: 365

A little light reading.
Smart Meter equipment technical specification https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68898/smart_meters_equipme...

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

I thought the following reference was particularly relevant:-
Arm Supply              A Command to Arm the Supply.
Where ESME is in Prepayment mode and the combined Meter Balance(5.6.4.24) and
Emergency Credit Balance(5.6.4.15) is below the Disablement Threshold ( 5.6.3.13 ) ESME
shall be capable of not Arming the Supply, but of placing the Supply in such a state
whereby Supply will be Armed where the combined Meter Balance(5.6.4.24) and
Emergency Credit Balance(5.6.4.15) rises above the Disablement Threshold ( 5.6.3.13 ).
In executing the Command ESME shall be capable of setting the Supply
State(5.6.4.32 ) to Armed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm not having one of these Trojans in my house, so they can remotely cut us off without warning  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Highlighted
itsme
Grafter

Is there any difference between a Smart prepayment meter and a standard prepayment meter? If you don't put money in then they will disconnect the supply and the Smart meter is probably making the decision locally the same as a standard prepayment meter.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@itsme was that comment addressed to me?. I'm on a standard contract with my electricity supplier an if they don't give satisfaction I can always withhold payment by they can't cut me off without gaining access to my property. So is there a corresponding change in contract terms when they fit a smart meter with the ability to cut you off using a remote signal.  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

Smart Prepayment meters are used extensively in Northern ireland.
The resulting solution is much more customer-friendly, with prepay users now benefiting from:
A more flexible vending system, which allows customers to buy credit over the phone or via the Internet, as well as at the traditional physical pay-points. The incumbent supplier Power NI has also launched a free smartphone app for checking balances and topping up.
Meaningful usage information provided via the meter and a remote display, including recent consumption history and an estimate of the number of days’ usage remaining. This feedback can help customers keep track of their usage and budget ahead more effectively. The remote display addresses the issues with inaccessible meters and allows customers to easily access information irrespective of where the meter is.
An audible low-credit warning from the meter, acting as a prompt to users to top up.
Emergency credit, to tide users over until they can buy credit.
Friendly credit, ensuring customers cannot be disconnected out of office hours.
A system to replace lost codes, so that top-ups are protected and consumers are never left out of pocket.

Source http://prepaidenergyhub.com/northern-irelands-keypad-prepayment-success-story/
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
when they fit a smart meter with the ability to cut you off using a remote signal.  Angry

But are the utility companies allowed to cut you off? Surely they have to give you a warning or maybe even a court order Undecided
Fixes: 385

As far as I am aware they have to have a court order to enter your premises in order to cut you off but whether the ability to cut you off remotely means that a court order is no longer necessary I have no idea.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

They can:-
Remotely switch you from a direct debit arrangement to a prepayment plan.
Remotely increase the unit price at certain times of the day.
Remotely disconnect you.
I shall refuse any offer of having one of these monitors installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote author=係係係係VileReynard link=topic=149556.msg1315540#msg1315540 date=1459177938]
They can:-
Remotely switch you from a direct debit arrangement to a prepayment plan.

How can this be when there is no slot for a Payment Key?
What provider is this with?
This would then mean that these are simply disabled pre-payment meters waiting to pounce!
VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

You pay via internet or debit/credit card via a phone call.
The money is remotely transferred to the "Smart" meter.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

I switched from 'standard' prepayment meters to 'smart' ones about  6 weeks ago and don't see what all the fuss is about.
From my point of view they're more convenient.
As well as being able to top up in the traditional manor (using a card at paypoints) I can check my balance and top up via the web/app/phone/text from anywhere and you can also schedule topups and also setup text/email notification when the balance reaches whatever limit you've set.
Also rather than having to topup electric and gas separately (with key for electric and card for gas) the credit is shared between the two.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote author=係係係係VileReynard link=topic=149556.msg1315579#msg1315579 date=1459189116]
You pay via internet or debit/credit card via a phone call.
The money is remotely transferred to the "Smart" meter.

Ouch! I guess the vendor would say it's their way of protecting the customer from running up a large debt.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Maybe there will be some incentives to have a smart meter.
"Our smart meter comes with free broadband"
Nothing would surprise me.