cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Not an actual Trabant"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"Not an actual Trabant"

I`m not a fan of computer games.. xbox, PSHuh or whatever... although I realise there are many who are.. I just wonder if the makers of these games are "conning" their customers with the adverts they put on the telly...

they tend to show some really "interesting". "graphic" " exciting" stuff going on... to "entice" the gullible, into buying the said game.

How can they get away with showing this stuff, and putting up a "disclaimer" in almost see through white text stating

"not actual game footage"...Isn`t that against the "Trades description act"  ? ? 

That is almost as bad as trying to sell a Trabant car, by showing a Ferari in action around a mountain pass... and showing...

" Not an actual Trabant "

7 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: "Not an actual Trabant"

Well those disclaimers are a cop out but what irritates me is that they are not very clear on the screen and they can disappear before you had time to read them.

Truth be told, any product advertised that does that sort of thing makes me assume they are being devious - which of course they are. Result? No buying business from me.

PS. And the same goes for those garbled high speed voice over 'conditional' disclaimers as well. Knuppel

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Minivanman wrote ;- PS. And the same goes for those garbled high speed voice over 'conditional' disclaimers as well. Knuppel

When in America, watching the TV adverts for medical products the disclaimer at the end is nearly as long as the full advert, probably to stop those law suits Smiley

Community Veteran

I could understand this sort of thing back in the day of CBM and Spectrum. Around that time and a little later it was usually game intros, level cuts, and the like that was shown in ads

But now, with these super duper consoles, not showing game footage is just making me think that maybe the graphics aren't really that good. Maybe the games aren't that good. Nothing to shout about otherwise they would wouldn't they?

Maybe Birdseye should have put "not actual pie filling" under the pictures of their chicken pies. Remember those picture of pies literally bursting with filling. With a disclaimer would they have been allowed to continue? Of course not.

Community Veteran

To add to that shouldn't some plusnet ads have a disclaimer?

You've seen those phone ads with the latest iphone or Samsung. They show someone running through what the phone can do and at the bottom of the screen there is a disclaimer which says something like "actual time taken / actions sequences have been shortened blah blah".

Then we have a plusnet ad, you know the one. "Funny man" picks up the phone to plusnet support "happy to help blah blah".

If the phone ads have to have that disclaimer ............................................

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

We'll do you proud*

Aren't Lucky Dip lottery tickets in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act?  If you don't win, the shops won't take them back for a full refund although they quite clearly were not as described, i.e. not lucky.

I don't really see the need to be made aware that the picture on food packaging is a "Serving Suggestion", or do people really believe that the small container of Chicken Tikka Masala contains a fully formed meal on a normal-size dinner plate?

*Disclaimer:  No actual pride implied.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this thread, help is available on 0800 xxx xxxx (only 38.57 calls waiting).  Calls are free from BT landlines, other providers may charge.

Community Veteran

The Birdseye chicken pie ad was sort of infamous and was eventually forcibly given the boot.

Many older pie eaters will remember the pictures of the pie cut in half bursting with chicken, peas, and gravy.

Which was an outright lie bearing little resemblance to the actual item.

It was also a virtual turning point for advertising standards in the cracking down of false advertising.

Unfortunately it's all gone back to hell in a hand basket. You only have to look how the word free is wantonly misused.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

billnotben wrote:

Unfortunately it's all gone back to hell in a hand basket. You only have to look how the word free is wantonly misused.

Yes, freely used  ! Roll eyes