cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dimming the cabin lights for take off"

Community Veteran

Re: "Dimming the cabin lights for take off"

I find it strange that some people do have a fear of flying. I always think logically and know that I am far safer in a plane than my own car. I have done a fair amount of flying since I was 14 and still enjoy the power on take off although I did get a little sick of flying when I went to New Zealand a couple of years ago. There I jumped out of a plane. I really hate the security, taking off your shoes and belt, emptying your pockets and surrendering your deodrant! All while trying to carry bags, jacket. passport, boarding pass, etc.
My boss was telling me today about a young girl on last nights flight who was in tears with fear. Those little Flybe turboprops are always quite bumpy even in fair weather. I did not notice her as I was half asleep due to us being in some random bar in Southampton on Wednesday night and up early yesterday morning!
Fixes: 228

Well I've only done it once to Vancouver but I loved every minute of it.
Most people seemed to sleep during the flight (9+ hours)...there was no way I was going to miss a second of it sleeping Shocked

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.5 (64-bit)

James
Grafter

I've been flying for 28 years (since I was 3 months old).
I used to find it fascinating when I was a lot younger, now I just find it a pain, especially on long hauls as I can't sleep on my back Sad
techguy
Grafter

I'm aiming to go to the States at some point over the next three years so am going to save up and fly one class above cattle  Smiley (might go business if I won the lottery)
Community Veteran

I wish there was a rule to dim down the screaming,whining, unruly kids passengers as well as the lights.
Maybe they could give them a knock out drop before take off.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh

Crikey - your arms must be tired by now... Cheesy
Er, I'll get me coat...
B.
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
I'm aiming to go to the States at some point over the next three years so am going to save up and fly one class above cattle  Smiley (might go business if I won the lottery)

After travelling ecconomy to New Zealand I thought about this but I think it would just be money wasted that you could spend on your actual holiday. Ecconomy is not that bad only for the leg room but for the price and the fact that it is only for a maximum of  about 12 hours I would rather live with it. The extra cost for me would have being at least one less adventure in New Zealand.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Barry
Quote from: Jameseh

Crikey - your arms must be tired by now... Cheesy
Er, I'll get me coat...
B.

LOL!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My "Best" flight - In a Carvair (Converted DV4?) car carrier from Southend Airport to Ostend.  Plane sat on runway, back end hard against the railway fence, oil dripping from engine, revved up and watch the rivets rattle in the wings, take of and fly at max altitude - 3000 ft, no inflight entertain or food or drinks, just four rows of seats behind the cardboard scrren that hid the cars up front
techguy
Grafter

You're no doubt right Sean
One of my colleagues has just come back from 1 week in New York and had a great time by all accounts so want to go as soon as I can.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Quote from: Santiago
I wish there was a rule to dim down the screaming,whining, unruly kids passengers as well as the lights.

Yeah, I think those train companies who have those 'quiet' coaches, don't quite have it right.
Unless the set a minimum age as well, the chances are it won't be that quiet Roll eyes
James
Grafter

Tbh, the amount of chattering in those coaches generally outweigh the volumes that mobiles give off anyway!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As others have mentioned fear of flying, there used to be a British Airways captain who used to run "fear of flying" classes. I think he may have featured in the BBC's "Airport" series occasionally, he was also a brilliant after dinner speaker, and indeed recorded a few times I believe. I think his first name may have been Douglas but, I wouldn't swear to it. Can anybody elaborate on this at all?
edit: Oh, I believe he died, shortly after some of Airport was aired, but hopefully this may not be the case.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

IIRC - BA as a company did it - not just one captain. I remember a friend of mine who worked for them often talked about doing it as if it was one of the standard rotas.
They used an aircraft in the hanger area, and after a talk in the building, they were taken out to walk around the aircraft, should various parts such as undercarriage, flaps , engines etc etc., and were told what noises to expect. Were taken in the aircraft and shown around, allowed to site down and belt up etc.
Then if they wanted - they could go on a flight.
Not sure they have been able to do this since World Trade centre affair ?.