cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dimming the cabin lights for take off"

Community Veteran

"Dimming the cabin lights for take off"

I am not long home from Belfast City airport after being on a training course in Southampton. Every time I fly I always ask myself the same question so now I will ask you.
Why are the cabin lights in planes turned off for take off and landing?
The cabin crew always announce "For safety reasons we will be dimming the cabin lights for take off".
I am interested in planes and watch loads of aviation documentries on tv but for the life of me I cannot work out why this is done. Surely there is no light penetrating from the cabin into the cockpit through the door? Anyone know the answer to this?
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: "Dimming the cabin lights for take off"

Sorry should have tried Google first. I got my answer. Makes sense now.
"For 2 reasons, both safety related.
Take-off and landing are the most dangerous bits in flying. If there is a fire in one of the engines, or some other emergency event outside during take-off or landing, it'll be quickly spotted with the cabin lights dimmed.
And secondly, if the aircraft needs to be evacuated, your eyes are already accustomed to the light that is outside, so when you get out of there in a matter of seconds, you can see where you're going."
Community Veteran

and a third is that they need all the power they can get to wind that lakky band and get up a good speed for takeoff. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A forth is that if you like looking out of the windows (as I do!!) it improves the view no-end, without having interior lights reflecting on the windows.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

I want to know why on night flights they don't remain dimmed, that would be much better
Will Moderate For Thanks
James
Grafter

So people don't fall over when going to the toilet Smiley

I didn't say off  Grin
I've seen plenty of people fall over when the lights are on too so probably wouldn't make much difference..
Will Moderate For Thanks
techguy
Grafter

I flew back on a late evening flight from Dublin about 7 years ago and was the first time I'd flown since I was four and the dimming of the lights did unnerve me somewhat after the horrendous day flight out a week earlier where the pilot practically took off vertically and seemed to be struggling to level the plane out, people behind me were gripping the arms of their seats and screaming oh my God and that was just the stewards.
Tip there is, never fly on a well known budget airline or indeed any budget airline. BA all the way from now on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Jameseh
So people don't fall over when going to the toilet

Makes you wonder whats difficult about walking the aisles between seats, unless there's been too much time in the bar before take-off. Although people do sometimes dangerously leave bags etc. sticking out into the aisle I suppose, If I see one, I usually surreptitiously kick it very hard, and hope to hear a satisfying sound of something breaking.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Thank you Sean for your Googled answer. If I ever fly for a second time I am now reassured.  Shocked Undecided Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Makes you wonder whats difficult about walking the aisles between seats, unless there's been too much time in the bar before take-off. Although people do sometimes dangerously leave bags etc. sticking out into the aisle I suppose, If I see one, I usually surreptitiously kick it very hard, and hope to hear a satisfying sound of something breaking.

I've got a pretty good excuse for not being able to walk in a straight line, especially when it's dark Tongue
Community Veteran

I do understand it must be worrying flying for the first few times. There are so many strange noises etc too.
After take off the noise of the undercarriage going up, the flaps retracting etc etc..
I find explaining to people helps them a lot.
Mind you easy for me - I've flown a lot since I was 19 - learnt to fly and became an instructor. -
Smiley

First few times? More like every time  Crazy
Hate flying - hence just packed SWMBO off to New York shopping on her own!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Flying is brilliant, especially if you get a bumpy landing!!! That said, when I was younger I used to fly to see family in Scotland several times a year. Now I prefer to get the train because it's easier and no slower by the time check in and baggage collection times are taken into account...
Community Veteran

Totally agree about domestic UK flights v railway.
I've used both a great deal - and despite all the jokes and bad press - the train is vastly more reliable, comfiortable and less stress.
And yes - by the time you've taken to drive to the airport, parked car, got to terminal, checked in boarded etc etc, got from airport to destination - it's almost as quick using train. And so sos so more confortable. at least you can work etc on the train and have a decent meal in the restaurant car.
With a suitable amount of spare time to allow for raod delays etc, I have to leave home 3 hours before adverised departure time for the airline, but only 30 minutes to the railway station.