cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can I just confirm some details?"

geewizz
Grafter

"Can I just confirm some details?"

So far today I have been pressured into changing all my windows, applying for a credit card and changing my phone supplier. I am weak in the face of telephone sales pitches, right up to the bit where I am supposed to authorise the sale.
I have never bought anything over the phone. If I want to buy something I will go out and find it. If your product is good then you can put it on the internet and I'll find it. Stick it in a shop or get yourself listed in the phone book. I'll find you. Don't phone me though because I'll just waste away the money you spend on your call centre.
There are few things more irritating than listening to some deviously scripted pitch backed by the pathetic applause for a closed sale in a cavernous sounding satanic call mill.
Yes, I feel some sympathy for Avril and Alan who are aiming to win a creme egg from the "team leader" by outwitting me with their linear, formulaic, form-filling interrogations. However, there's not enough sympathy to go around and when they try to make out that they're doing me some sort of favour, and that this call is not entirely for their own benefit, that's when I return a volley of fire and sink their fragile craft.
I will win this war and make it uneconomical for companies to use these invasive methods. I urge everyone else to give cold call sales companies the same runaround. Even if it's just putting the reciever down on the desk and leaving the caller hanging, it will slow them down.
If these jobs didn't exist then the people who are forced to take therm wouldn't have to sit in those conditions and take endless abuse from the trumped-up fud who issues creme eggs and mindless twaddle which he is convinced constitutes motivation.
Please don't advise me to have my phone number listed on those preference things. If I did that I would lose 75% of my daily entertainment. What fun there is to be had in playing a game of Detail Confirmation when the caller doesn't have any details to be confirmed.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: "Can I just confirm some details?"

I know where you're coming from, but at present I have better battles to fight.  Crazy
geewizz
Grafter

I suppose I could go and fix the leaky tap in the kitchen. I would hate to miss a call though. Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Publish your number and I will get a few more idiots into the conversation Cool
geewizz
Grafter

My number is 277301
Fixes: 104

Which of Her Majesties establishments is that number from?  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks