cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Buffers" to the fore !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

"Buffers" to the fore !

The world`s longest model railway line.... 74 miles... and its in Scotland..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5233099/Model-train-buffs-attempt-lay-track-74-miles-long....

Watch the programme on telly tomorrow.....

The Biggest Little Railway In The World, tomorrow, 8pm, Channel 4. 

5 REPLIES
jab1
Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: "Buffers" to the fore !

Strangely enough, a friend of mine sent me details of that last night - now set up to record as I'll probably not be home in time to watch it.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They did that on James May's Toy Stories, twice, the only difference for this one seems to be that they've gone for a length record...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@twocvbloke Yeah, I saw that... he looked like he was just "prattin` about" as usual... not really being serious about it... just like on top gear..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Given he did it twice, I'd say he took it seriously enough to actually do two TV shows about it... Crazy

That said, his track was about 10 miles, and the majority of the trains (mostly off-the-shelf models) put onto the tracks failed before the end, so a 74 mile track, that'd take a bit of modification to make them last long enough, assuming they lasted at all, that and May's track suffered vandalism, theft and weather damage too, so he had a hard time over 10 miles...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Thing with James May's attempt was that he was using batteries all along the stretch the first time which didn't work out great. The second time was with onboard power and that was also going to hopeless for a little train on such a long journey.

What they really needed was a 3rd rail to solve it all just like the mainline Cheesy

This program that was on last night was good but i was a bit disappointed that it was on a non standard gauge and that it didn't involve coal or leccy. Gas just seemed wrong! I had to laugh at the wooden bridge though, there's Charlie? saying she'll be cross if it gets in the drink and then they put it in to float it over to the other side where it then goes squishy lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!