cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Brexit Tax Applied" warning on goods ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"Brexit Tax Applied" warning on goods ?

In the light of the recent changes to Toblerone,....

and the proposed increase in the price of Walkers Crisps.. ( don`t think any other crisp manufacturer has this in mind....yet  ? )

and the foofar about Marmite and other products, price rises ( size changes )... due to the result of the vote on BREXIT...

should the government now make those companies who have done this ( or are proposing/planning to do this) . have obvious warnings on the front of their produce packaging... similar to cigarettes..

BREXIT TAX APPLIED.

WARNING... this packet pricing has been affected by BREXIT TAX

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: "Brexit Tax Applied" warning on goods ?

I would be inclined to suggest all shops display the current price of goods and underneath that, the price that item cost 12 months ago.

In cases where the weight of the item had been reduced the above prices should be shown on a red label.

Community Veteran

I think that some manufacturers are using/abusing the current situation to put up their prices. A good time to hide money grabbing profit increasing price hikes.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a newspaper naming and shaming unwarranted rises on some products.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

For Brexit read decimalisation because the same thing happend.

Move the goalposts and fair play for all goes out of the window as companies put opportunity to play, prices over the bar, or at the back of the net of the home team. 

It's all balls of course.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman

Is there sound conclusive proof of that? Clearly some rises would have been in the pipeline, yet unannounced before decimalization. It would have been interesting to see the costs of the shopping basket over the prior, the actual, and the succeeding years.

In addition the pride in keeping the £, and its decimal penny worth 2.4 d. couldn't have helped with lower value items

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well I certainly remember all those 19/6d's changing to 99p overnight Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Real low value items were so many a penny. Blackjacks, flying saucers and the like.

When decimalisation came in it was immediately obvious that I wasn't getting 2.4 more sweets for my shiny new penny.

Decimalisation even ripped off kids. Shop keepers had no shame.

The brexit is shaping up to be more of the same.

I'm hoping that when brexit comes it will arrive with an extra bank holiday so we can have a damn good party, raise our glasses in the "General" direction of France and all shout Non!