cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Auntie" Beeb

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

"Auntie" Beeb

I notice that the BBC has overcome its much publicised female ageist attitudes by, putting three of its old boilers mature ladies all in one programme. Angela Rippon, Gloria Honeybunch and Jennie Bond co-present "Rip-off Britain" mornings BBC1. Three of the most patronising presenters on television.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: "Auntie" Beeb

I saw a little bit of that when I was off on Monday.  It was very annoying and in the 2 or 3 minutes that I saw it, I think I picked up on 4 things that I know to be incorrect.
Phil
Community Veteran

As someone of advancing years I must say that I find that the amount of caked cracked make-up on show  in this programme is really not attractive, I bet its much worse in HD (which I don't use, although "ready") All three of these "girls" has been noted for their looks in the past, but perhaps there comes a time to hang up the trowel (stage and TV make-up that is)
I really think that older people have much to offer with their wide experience. But just maybe the Beeb has a point ?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

It's about time that the BBC had older ladies presenting programmes. What is the big deal about looks? Doesn't seem to matter for old men so why should it matter for women?
It is their ability to do the job that is important and IMO all those mentioned above have the experience and are very good at their jobs (although I don't particularly favour Jennie and Gloria myself).
I have always liked Angela Rippon and who can argue what an excellent newsreader Anna Ford was?
In television it is like any female over 50 doesn't exist and as it is supposed to reflect real life is blatantly fraudulent. 
The whole thing is male-driven because they are more interested in gawking at younger women and flattering their ego than in content. 
If it is down to looks I'd hazard a guess that the three mentioned ladies look a lot better than the vast number of older men you see waddling around with their stomach spilling over their trousers and balding pates!

Community Veteran

As anyone else living in Scotland will know - we suffer from a few overly made up ladies here - on the BBC Scottish news - some weeks not a single male presenter, and we get Jackie Bird on other programmes such as New Year, Scottish version of Children in Need etc.  Sad
I'm looking forward to the day when the new BBC studios in Salford Quays are fully operational and we get a BBC less dominated by London, SE England.
How many ladies from the Manchester, Cheshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Derbyshire area will we get  Grin
Maybe one day the British Broadcasting C will be truly British and not London dominated.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Much prefer the mature ladies to be on Radio, there is something about a husky voice.

OT    -    Could never understand why Joan Bakewell was often referred to as "The thinking mans crumpet", surely it should be “Tart”.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The "southern orientated" does not only apply to the BBC... both channels, have activated the "tilting" map of the UK when the weather forecast is on....
I pity the people who live in the Shetlands, or any of the more northerly parts of Britain, especially as they have (usually) the worst and most changeable weather....  Undecided
Ok for London and the southern half of england, (south of the M4...) the tilted map seems to work reasonably well, but I do prefer the original "satelite" type view, where the whole of the UK can see how the weather moves and make their own educated guess, whilst listening to the mouthpiece expert , talking about spits and spots of rain. etc., when they really mean showers...
Community Veteran

Absolutely right Shutter - the government - in the name of the Met Office apparently spent millions on that new map graphic system, and it was even worse when it was first introduced.
I think they managed to tweek it a bit - which improved it a little - but it is still aweful.
And of course we even have the same local problem - Scottish TV may as well be renamed Glasgow TV, and even BBC Scotland is far to biased towards Glasgow where their HQ is.
Grampian TV based in Aberdee were a good bit better - but now they are owned by the same company as Scottish TV  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Much prefer the mature ladies to be on Radio, there is something about a husky voice.

Ah! well there I entirely agree with you journeys.
Remember Fenella Fielding?

Community Veteran

I much prefer radio - and these days with DAB there is plenty of choice,
And as you say - you imagine what people might look like.
And radio has a much better class of soap - i.e the Archers  Cheesy
sad about Phil Archer - opps sorry Norman Painting  Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
And radio has a much better class of soap - i.e the Archers

Are there any other soaps on radio?
Used to be a fan of Waggoners Walk, but that's not been around for ages. Would Journey into Space have counted as a soap?

Fixes: 47

Quote from: Petlew
Remember Fenella Fielding?

Mmmmm Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Don't forget Joanna Lumley Cool
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

And Charlotte Green & Mariella Frostrup.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Journey into Space
Now that was a real soap, cliff hanging ending every week, always remember 'Lemmy'  had a quip (think he was played by Alfie Bass)
Memory is going, cannot remember if it followed 'Dick Barton - secret Agent' or came before it.
Always the gossip at school on Tuesday